Used 1998 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Tons of fun!
By inmyblood

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my A4 2.8Q brand new. Over 13 years later I couldn't be much happier. It drives like new with over 120k miles on it. It is great fun to drive and I love carving through the mountain snow here in Utah with only all-season tires. I had some front suspension issues until my local mechanic solved what my dealer could not. I have had my brakes done once with that same mechanic for about $600 for all four.
I have replaced all four lower door trim pieces and both heated side view mirrors but no sensor or engine issues. It runs smooth and hard and I love it!
My kids don't like the back seat but that is what the Odyssey is for. I wish I could afford a new one. An all around great car!

All wheel drive that you can over-steer in the wet! Balanced and smooth with well damped suspension. Lovely interior! Still fresh exterior.

Dealer costs!

Great Buy
By A patel

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought it with 129,000 miles on it. After buying it, spent few grand on regular maintenance (timing belt, fluid flushes, water pump) none of those thing were needed, but I was looking to keep it for long time. Currently has 140,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable for me ever since I bought it. Only thing I had to fix after I bought it, was wheel bearing and valve cover gasket set. I have many after market parts on it such as (performance chip, borla exhaust, itg air filter, etc) the gas mileage has been decent. 18-20 city and 26-31+ highway. Which I think its great for an all wheel drive car. I will drive it till wheels fall off.

turbo, all wheel drive, 5-speed, the look

wish it had more hp, better location for cup holders. 6th gear.

Love my AUDI A4 1.8 AWD
By lalo

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I love my car. I have owned it for over a year and it still runs like a champ. Thankfully the people I bought it from took very good care of the car, and I have continued the same maintenance. It has great gas mileage, and is a beautiful car. It doesn't have the power when you first hit the gas pedal but once your moving it goes.

Body Style, Speed, Interior, System

Cup holders

Great quality, reliable, fun to drive.
By Denis Abramov

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have driven my pearl white Audi for about 3 months now. Before this Audi, I was driving a 2002 Volvo S60 (great car also). I have all factory packages that were available for this car. My car has a 30v V6 which sounds lovely before 4k rpms, after that, it builds up this roar, all the way to redline of 6800. The sport package is outstanding (if you prefer comfort, you wouldn't like it). The sport seats are somewhat hard but support you when entering a corner at 40+mph. Suspension is a bit harsh too but the car handles like it is on rails. Cruising at 80mph is a breeze and my friends can't even tell we're going 80. Take care of it, it will last forever!

Legendary Quattro system, Bose sound, sport seats, handling, reliability (no problems at 127k miles), interior and exterior design, quiet ride, material quality, and of course, the switchblade key. :)

The seals leak on Audi (weak spot on any older Audi/VW as well as rubber engine mounts wearing out - easy and cheap fix though), make sure you change them when you change the timing belt. The only thing I absolutely hate about my A4, is the cupholders. They are just awful.

Sweet and solid 2.8 5 speed
By LJT 992

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have read reviews about expenses. One person spent 3,000 on brakes, tires and rear wheel bearings, try finding a honest local repair shop. Max on that bill should be 750. Tires and brakes are consumables. I had two upper control arms put in at a total cost of 140, big whup! I have read reviews on Hondas and Toyotas and people complain about them. Make sure you know a local repair shop that works on these and the bills will only be slightly higher than the bland accord Camry domestic cars. This is a car that you smile in as you drive. If you are looking for a grocery car then buy something else b/c this is meant for a driving enthusiast not Gramma. Drink holders stink, who cares ur driving not eating.

Comfortable heated seats, handling, engine. 5 speed trans that's crisp. Tight body, good sight lines. Bose supreme sound with smaller aftermarket sub, just right. Heated locks, windshield and headlight washers. Turn key window down features. Galvanized steel with White Pearl paint too many features to list.