Used 1996 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love my Audi
By jteen55

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I bought my A4 at 201,000 and it runs like a dream. After a few simple maintenance repairs (oil change and new battery) it quickly became the car of my dreams. Every now and then it likes to act up, but I chalk that up to its quirky personality. I wouldn't trade my 96 A4 for my friends 95 A6 if you paid me. For me my car is absolutely perfect and amazing. I cannot sing higher praises to my car. I love it.

Great Car but Expensive to Maintain
By mthomaslawrence

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I do appreciate the bulletproof reliability of Honda (Acura) and Toyota (Lexus), but the driving experience does not even come close to that of a good German sedan such as Audi or BMW. If you are looking for strictly gas mileage and reliability, those cars are the way to go. But when you compare the feel of a Acura TL, for example, to an Audi A4 of the same year and price, the Audi is more solid and refined. In other words, the car has character. The Audi is the older, more mature brother, solid and stable without trying to be. Just like all the finer things in life though, it comes at a price. That price is maintenance costs that would most likely triple that of your average Japanese car.

The design-even after 10+ years you can still appreciate its beauty. Build Quality-Though the maintenance bills exceed the value of the car, it still does not squeak/quiver over bumps-even with 135k miles. Driveability-driven 100+ cars, and this is the 1st Ive owned that I have nothing to criticize.

Long term reliability. The cost of maintenence is horrendous and the engine seems not to be as long lasting as the 99 and newer models. It will be difficult to let go of this maintenance titanic, but affordable to replace with another, newer, less used model. The clutch is not as smooth as a BMW.

Good, if you can find a maintained one
By J Wood

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this from a good friend of mine. There were all the service records from new until 89k when I got it. Now at 107k I have replaced the cat converters ($100 - I got universal ones - they work FINE!), the alternator ($165), and the plugs and wires ($130). That's it as far as maintenance. Now, if you want to keep this car affordable do the easy stuff yourself! Taking it to the dealer is a horrible idea - there's nothing magical about an Audi. I have spent hundreds more in extra modifications, but they weren't necessary ;-) If I could do it over again though I would get a 1.8t or the 30v 2.8 (98 and up). The 12v in the 96 and 97, while reliable, is pretty slow.

Good driving position, slick 5 speed, easy clutch, reliable engine, nice sound system, smooth ride.

Cup holders (seriously, they stink). Anemic power from the engine especially with the AC on. No real, power gaining engine modifications for the 12v V6 (bummer). Only adequate gas mileage.

Awesome car
By whtbowtie

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

If you're reading this you were in my shoes, I bought my Audi with 107k and it was awesome from day one, precision turning car felt secure to the road. All parts are expensive, I put 15000 miles on my car in the last year and I would recommend this car to everyone. But be sure to test everything before you decide to buy-> ALL ELECTRICAL, lights, wipers, windows, climate control and watch for the air bag lights. My only problem with the car was the brakes, Audi/VW has a problem with air in the ABS pump, if you get air in there you end up with locked up brakes only when you go into antilock. Something to test when you test drive the car. Quattro = never getting stuck.

Quattro, interior style, comfort and features.

Silly stuff breaks, center console lid, cup holders don't hold anything in place. Coolant overflow tank has been replaced 6 times in a year all breaking in the same spot from either heat or pressure.

OVER 160K AND THE CAR JUST WONT DIE
By Tom Cannone

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I loved the style of the A4, smaller then the A6, its a little more nimble then the bigger Audi cars in the line up. I have a limited GOLD package that was offered in 3 different colors only, black, green, and white. This car has just about every option available, heated leather seats, sunroof, BOSE audio, QUATTRO, ski bag, heated washer nozzles, alloy rims, everything! Plus a nice slick shifting 5spd to add to the fun. The car has 166k and the damn thing just wont give up, the engine hums and the famed AWD is near flawless in any weather condition, luxury, style, and class appeal are very noticable in this car, not to mention its made for all year 'round weather. I'd buy another 10 audi/vws

The AWD, slickest 5spd manual money can buy, exterior style has held its design from 96 to 01, very well thought of. Power of the engine is amazing, reliability has been fantastic even at higher miles, I dont think I'd buy anything else, it.s really made me a believer.

Interior shows its age being a '96 model, no lights on the dash board indicate if a door is open, or anything. But this is something I can live with, and certainly they improved in the later years, also in 96, the engine was a 12 valve SINGLE over head cam, the 30 valve didn't come in until 98+