2018 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A3 Sportback e-tron model:

roomy, great mileage, and a luxury ride
By SoCal

2018 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Hatchback 1.4 TFSI PHEV Prestige 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

I previously owned a 2008 all electric A3 3.2 and it was a great car. I hated to trade it but decided I wanted all the technology and driver assist offered in the newer models. Waited through the periods of no gas sport backs imported into the US, then the "clean" diesel debacle, then waited to see how the e-tron worked out. It's a 10. Admittedly I had to get used to the fact that the 1.4 is a very different drive than my old 3.2. That engine was amazing, but in truth it was a way more powerful car than I really needed or used, although the drive was great fun, but the nav was a CD that only knew the roads up to 2008. (a CD!) I've had the e-tron (Prestige trim) for 6 months, love it. Got the Bosch charger for the garage and total charge in 2 hours. My electric bill is unchanged. My mileage is far better than advertised. I consistently get close to 30 mpg on the charge, and even when I use both gas and electric I get 75 mpg in normal conditions, and over 50 even in stop and go nightmare traffic. Admittedly, I am a pretty chill driver, but I deal with LA traffic periodically and still get great mileage. The comfort is great - the backseat is a little tight for long distances but totally adequate for around town. And the back is as luxury as the front. Another improvement is that the closed moon roof filters more light than it did in my old 2008, which in southern California is a good thing. The versatility of the A3 is what sells me - the hatchback turns the small car into a truck - pop down the back seats and the cargo space is amazing - I can fit bikes, furniture, large cartons, just about anything in there. For groceries etc the cargo space without pushing down the seats is more than adequate.

Fun and practical
By ATP

2018 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Hatchback 1.4 TFSI PHEV Premium w/Prod. End 6/18 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

I was at the end of my lease with a BMW i3 REX and I needed something a bit bigger. I looked at 7 cars, from BMW 330e to Ford Fusion plug-in and Honda Clarity Plug-in. I read all the reviews and watched many you tube videos where people were raving about their plug-ins. Then I test drove all of them (couple of times!) Let me tell you this, you can’t get all the features on any car unless you have something custom built for you. But after balancing it all and look at all the pros and cons, e-tron was the logical choice. I have driven it few days now and I love it. Coming from an i3 I was worried that I would be sitting lower to the ground. No problem. The car has so many great qualities that I quickly forgot about sitting low. Electric range is lower than i3. If you need more electric range, you should look at Honda Clarity Plug in or i3 REX. Small compartments could get a revisit as there are not many. Was that the deciding factor? Not really. The other thing: if you want Navigation the price jumps by about 7000 as it only comes in expensive packages. I chose to go without Navi and enjoy the craftsmanship Audi has done on the car. I am interested to see what other people say in their reviews as I did not see any at the time of my posting. Love my A3 e-tron.