Used 2009 Acura TSX Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Acura TSX

View reviews for a specific TSX model:

High mileage, reliable, great car
By Steve

2009 Acura TSX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Has over 200k on it and still drives like new. Burns eats or leaks no oil what so ever, which is odd because these engines are known for vanishing oil. Brakes are the one weak point, they go fast and generally aren't super reactive. ELS sound system is better than almost every other stock sound system I have heard. On long road trips, I average (you ready?) THIRTY EIGHT MILES PER GALLON. Yes, I understand the computer is not the most accurate when it comes to estimating mpg, but I got this with fill up to fill up math, multiple times, it's not an anomaly. I get this on regular 87 also. After this car, it's Acura for life for me. Well, until I can afford a lexus LS anyway.

Sporty Reliability
By Phil

2009 Acura TSX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Not great in snow. Excellent fuel mileage. Over 40 MPG on road trip and averages 28 MPG in city. However, premium fuel. Good road feel with little body roll. Front seats are supportive. Very reliable and spacious trunk. My second TSX, previous 2007. Dealer is excellent. Nice solid sports sedan. It won't overwhelm you with performance, but it doesn't take a ton of cash to maintain.

Agreed with a Luxuary car with cheap leather seats
By Regena Smith

2009 Acura TSX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The leather seats will tear up before 2 year mark. I have a 2009 Acura TSX that i bought brand new in 2008. I had to commute for work and my miles were about 200 over the warranty so the dealership took pics of the car stated that his district manager had to approve if seats could be fixed, no one called back so I made the first move and called to be told no, there is nothing we can do about it. I also received a letter in the mail about an oil consumption recall and was told that I was over miles but they may be able to work something out. I had to pay for a timing chain to be replaced on the car right at 100000 miles and was told that they don't make these cars like they use to not only am I embarrassed about the seats that have been torn for a while while making car payments now because the car is not worth the hassel. I asked when does it states that there is a certain mileage on a recall to get vehicle fixed for free this is not my 1st car. I will never purchase another one looking at getting an Audi this month better quality. There need to be a lemon law on this car new or used .

TSX Review for Used Car Seekers - Check Oil Issue
By Paul

2009 Acura TSX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Feb 2017 Update:
My TSX is still going strong, but it turns out the oil consumption issue became a problem, consuming more than a quart per 1000 miles. Although it was a tedious process, Acura ended up replacing the piston rings as part of their extended warranty due to this known issue. No more burning oil and my engine has a new life at 116,000 miles. Used car seekers should check if TSXs of this vintage have had the warranty work done, especially on manual transmission models which are more prone to this problem. If the exhaust tips are sooty then the car is burning oil.

Original review 2016:
I am the original owner a black, 4cyl TSX with 6 speed manual transmission. It now has 96k miles of more than half highway miles. Oddly enough, I'm more pleased with the car as it ages. Why? Because it's still performing very well, despite the expectation for an older car to start acting up. Power is good, handling is still tight, no rattles, the auto climate control is spot on. The 6 speed short shifting manual mated to a smooth clutch that doesn't buck in slow traffic is pleasure to drive. Manual lovers would like this car, and the engine is happy to rev. Fuel economy has been 30 mpg with my type of driving. This is excellent for a car with decent power.

The TSX handles pretty well in snow when mated with good all-season or winter tires. I am very happy with Continental PureContact Eco+ DWS. They drive well in snow and the traction control, when needed, works in concert with these to provide good control. I used to have Bridgestone Pole Position, which handled even better in dry and wet conditions but were horrible in snow. Surprisingly, the Continentals actually have improved fuel mileage by at least 1 mpg, as they claim.

Rear seats are more suitable for smaller people. The door opening is a little tight getting in, but the seats are very comfortable once in. Child seats are a pain to use because of the bucket shape and the closeness of the latch. Now that my kids are beyond that, we happily use the TSX for our family of 5 over our Odyssey, especially when parking will be tight.

My few issues:
Bluetooth function for the non-Nav version is clunky so I prefer to use my ear bud for making calls. I have a vent-mounted phone holder to make calls easier and to facilitate using GPS on my phone.
91 octane is tough to find so one usually has to pay for 93 octane. This is the price for getting 200 hp out of a 4 cylinder engine.
This model year had brakes that wore prematurely but that is not an issue after I replaced them with non-OEM pads.
I had to have the clutch master cylinder (small cylinder located at the clutch pedal) replaced at about 85k miles. Acura granted me a discount for this service when I complained that it was premature. The clutch is still in great shape.
Last, but not least, the engine consumes oil. Acura has extended the engine warranty to 8 yrs/125k miles. Their threshold for warranty work (changing piston rings) is burning more than 1 qt per 1000 miles. My engine consumes about 1/2 qt. I wonder if this issue occurs because people followed the maintenance minder for oil changes. I was driving 8k miles or even more before it would call for oil changes. I think following that was a mistake. I'm living with it and it does not seem to be getting worse now that I change oil at 5k miles.

I expect my TSX to continue to age well, and plan to pass it down to my kids when it's about 10 yrs old with 150k+ miles.

Don't think twice just buy it!
By Mark Wilmes

2009 Acura TSX Technology Package 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my TSX used in early 2014. My company moved from the suburbs to downtown so my commute changed from an easy 10 minutes on a turnpike to 20-30 minutes of Indy 500 with crack-ups and rescue vehicles included, and I'm so glad I bought the TSX instead of some larger sedans or SUV's I was looking at. My wife has a 2011 Pilot EXL so the need for another SUV really wasn't there anyway. We've had or still have six Honda's and two Acura's plus Mazdas and Nissans and some Fords. I'm getting over 25 MPG even with all the stops and starts and racing that I'm doing. I use the paddle shifters ALL THE TIME and it's so cool to pass or get around someone and then to accelerate and just get away from them (even within the speed limit, the acceleration is awesome). I did read the reviews about geting the 6 cylinder if you can find one, and I did test drive a 4 cylinder and then a 6 cylinder, back to back and the 6 is spectacular. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger, and the color of the 6 cylinder was white and I prefer black. The paddle shifters make the 4 cylinder a blast. This car is very fun to drive. It's easy to find a 4 cylinder in the color combination you want, and when you do, just buy it! I got mine with 64,000 miles on it and I'm at 104,000 after 20 months. I'll probably take it to 135,000 miles and then sell it and get a 2013 or 2014. This car is great for getting around in the parking garage, and my 17-year old son and his buddies think it's pretty slick!