Skip to main content

$37,500

Save as much as $2,626
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Expectations are Key!

E. Lin, 11/03/2020
SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/2.0T and A-Spec Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Recently picked up a redesigned AWD TLX w/turbo 4 cyl. in A-Spec trim. Really wanted the Type S but decided that the eventual ramp up in cost and lower fuel economy probably would have been deal breakers. I am very glad the TLX is no longer based on the Accord platform as it looks great and can stand out more from its Honda brethren. Here are my initial impressions. Pros: - Engine has some zip and should be more than adequate for most people (enthusiasts can continue waiting for the Type S) - Looks like a sleek sports car (especially if you choose the red/black interior seating)! - Seats are super comfortable, even more so than the ones on the MDX I was driving. Good support and I can imagine long drives being pleasant. - Suspension has been upgraded to double-wishbone. I don't feel I miss the active-dampening of the Advance trim. - Trunk release button is handy for when your hands are full (just stand there with fob in proximity and push the button!) - Awesome ELS sound system - Wireless phone charging Cons: - There is no spare tire (for additional fuel economy). You'll deal with a compressor and sealant in the trunk. You can always ask roadside assistance to do it for you. - The touchpad takes some getting used to. Unfortunately the method to operate the tactile pad for Acura apps is not the same as for when you use Carplay. I can't comment on the Android version but it may be the same issue. I've gotten used to this but I can see this being a deal breaker for some folks. - Car is marketed to compete with the BMW 3 series, C-Class, etc. and is competitive in price, interior space, trunk space, but not in fuel economy. I believe the exterior being more like the 5-series or E-Class size and the weight has quite a bit to do with it. This oddball combination forces the TLX to be more of a direct competitor with the Kia Stinger GT-Line for these reasons (fuel economy is identical). Speaking of weight, the TLX is only about 250 lb less than the MDX I gave up. Luckily the engine is more than sufficient to power the car on the highway. I always hated how underpowered a 2012 C-Class I owned was similar in weight to this TLX but struggled to accelerate with its underpowered V6. In conclusion, I'll stop short of saying this car is for "Acura fans only" but it is definitely not for everyone. The looks may keep sales high but only time will tell how long-term owners feel. Either way, it is most definitely worth it to get a test drive if you are on the fence after this review!

The Best TL/TLX Ever But With Inexcusable Flaws

Bluesboymark, 03/17/2021
SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/2.0T and Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

This is my third Acura and it is by far the best. But a few annoying features prevent it from being what should be a "great car" for the money. For starters, I'm not a big fan of the "touch pad" for controlling vehicle navigation and functions. It lags and takes getting used to. Not user friendly vs. touch screen. Also, Acura should fire the graphic designer or engineer who decided on the fixed daytime map color scheme and use of small white text outlined in black on a light background. A real graphic design no-no. Furthermore, street route numbers are unreadable no matter how you adjust contrast and brightness. My 2010 Acura TL had five map color schemes that you could adjust to get the best viewing experience. The screen and text on my 2010 appeared larger and far more readable. But no worries - the 2021 Acura engineers give you many different colors to change your interior car accent lighting - but not the more important navigation map! Bad bad bad. I'm tempted to use the map's night color screen even during the day because it is more readable. Also, info text on the navigation screen is in smaller fonts than my 2010 TL. Text should be easily readable when driving.. Also, if you live in a region that gets snow, wet snow that collects on the Acura's front emblem where the camera is causes some safety features to be disabled. Living in the Chicago area, this happened several times. These flaws get in the way of a fabulous automobile. It looks great, rides and handles beautifully, is very comfortable, has plenty of pep for a heavy car with its four cylinder turbo and has an excellent sound system for the money. However, I expected the mileage to be better with the four cylinder and if I'd known, I'd have waited for the six cylinder turbo. Also, be prepared for smaller back seat space on this model. This is a great looking vehicle with a lot of bang for the buck versus the more expensive BMW and Lexus. I felt that shelling out another $5,000 was not in my budget. Acura...hope you have some updates to the navigation color choice schemes. It's sorely needed!

Tech errors

Cole104 , 01/13/2021
4dr Sedan w/2.0T and Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

The biggest flaw I found after driving a 2021 TLX advance package was the Acura logo on the grill and all it controls. When this gets dirty or snowy none of your convenience/safety features function at all. Over all this car is absolutely astounding and a blast to drive and the sport mode is a blast, cant wait to see how the Type -S hanldles in comparison

4 out of 5 stars

Would give 4.5 stars if I could!

oldsnwbrdr, 08/30/2021
4dr Sedan w/2.0T and Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Great styling! The car is a very good luxury car when it wants to be, and is fun to drive when you want something sporty. Here's my experience @ 2,000 miles. TECHNOLOGY: - I started off hating the touchpad interface. Now I think it's the best interface ever. I love not having to stretch to reach a touchscreen, and I can truly operate the screen intuitively with just a glance. Note I don't do anything complicated with the system while I'm operating the car, like programming a radio station or entering a GPS address (I've used the voice system to operate the nav, which works fine). These types of things are best done while the car is moving. - I do like the nav, and really like the AcuraLink feature that lets me send an address to the car from my phone app. I really only do this for local addresses, and prefer Waze or Apple Maps for long drives and to get me around Chicago traffic. - Charging pad does not work for iPhone 12. Acura has been aware of this since March 2021. - USB requires drives to be formatted in FAT32. NTFS drives do not work. This goes for nav map updates and music USB drives. - When listening to USB drives, if you turn the car off, and then restart the car, the USB is stuck at "initializing." I found you have to power down the music system and then the car, and then when you restart it's fine. - Lane centering works well, and you can operate it without using cruise control. Unfortunately, touching the steering wheel is not enough; it has to be jiggled periodically and the car will bark at you to do so. Acura should copy Genesis. - Adaptive cruise is adequate at best. It's too conservative, even at the closest setting it maintains too much distance to the car in front of you, and does not resume speed quickly enough. Worst of all, it inexplicably slows down at few mph even when there is nothing around you. DRIVING: - My individual settings are engine normal, steering normal, ride comfort, start/stop on. I find there is plenty of performance even at normal. "Sport" amps up fake noise, and costs you on mpg because it only uses 8 of the 10 available gears. - Comfort is still a little firmer ride than you might expect. The ride could be softer yet. - Some FWD owners complain that the car tends to "dance" on grooved pavement. This is true. I haven't found it to be overly bothersome, and lane centering still works fine. - The car has plenty of power. Last week I passed five vehicles at once on a back road, grinning ear to ear as I did it. - Mileage on my FWD version is very good. I can easily get 32mpg with cruise @77. This nets me about 450 miles range on the freeway. - Car is reasonably quiet on the freeway, but could be better as I hear a bit of road noise, especially on some surfaces. - The start/stop system is pretty smooth in this car. It can be switched off and programmed to be off in your individual settings. But, if I know I'm going to be at a traffic light awhile, I don't mind letting it turn the car off. You can modulate whether the system activates based upon how hard you press the brake pedal (holding it just barely hard enough to keep the car stopped will not engage the start/stop system). - The car doesn't have a spare tire. There would be plenty of room for one in the trunk if Acura hasn't chosen to put the battery back there. Even so there are third-party spare tire kits that fit around the battery. COMFORT: - I have the Advance which has greater seat adjustability. I love the variable lateral support. The extendable thigh support, however, does nothing. The front of the seat needs to tip upward more for me to feel it, and the support doesn't extend far enough. Acura should copy BMW and Volvo in this regard. Still, these seats are QUITE good. - My car has ventilated seats. Even at the highest setting I can't really feel them working. - This car has some of the best bright lights ever. The interior ambient lighting looks really cool too. - I think the stereo is outstanding. The subwoofer is well braced and pumping bass notes don't cause vibrations within the car. - Back seat is a little tight; I haven't had anyone back there yet. VALUE: - I think the car is an outstanding value. Competing cars similarly optioned are far more. WISH LIST: - Hybrid powertrain to improve immediacy of performance and fuel economy. Is the sport-hybrid powertrain dead? - More sound insulation, and a softer comfort ride. - Fix the bugs in the infotainment. Don't you dare mess with the touchpad, despite what the reviewers say about touchscreens being better!!! - More USBs that integrate with the infotainment system. There is only one. I can use Apple CarPlay, or listen to my USB drive. Can't do both. - Seats like BMW/Volvo. Maybe even a massaging seat!

The new TLX Delivers

Blizz, 08/09/2021
SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/2.0T and Technology Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Shopped around extensively for my next car that will be utilized as a daily driver. I spend time in my car and I wanted an upgrade that gave me tech, comfort, and a bit of sport if I need it. Check all those boxes. I looked at the IS, the 3 series, A4, Q50 C class. For the money Acura delivers everything I wanted in very nicely appointed interior. I have had Acura's in the past and always was a fan. My last being a 2011 TL. Loved that car. On first glance in reviews and images online I was like meh with the new styling. Seeing it in person and sitting behind the wheel will give you a very different perspective. They did a fantastic job. Of course this is subjective. But it is unique in the space. Performance wise it does get up and move. However I preferred the previous V6 and its refinement. All these turbo 4's are the trend now. And Acura's iteration is certainly well done. Not a deal breaker for me. The infotainment system seems to be polarizing in many of the reviews I have read on this car. There is a learning curve but it takes all of about 10 minutes to get it and it works fine. Many have said they prefer a touch screen. I like this set up's positioning, which does not facilitate touch. It flows with the overall motif on the interior which I find unique and satisfying. All in all I am very happy I chose the new TLX. It has more room for a bigger guy like myself and gives you a lot of tech for the money. The SH-AWD system is fantastic. Reakkt the only thing I would like different is a V6. But again the turb 4 is not inadequate and moves this heavy sedan for its class along rather nicely. Rear seat accommodations are not the best which is odd considering the overall size of this car. So if that is important a crossover might be a better option. This car is not built for that requirement. It does what it does very well. It is unique (for now) and not ubiquitous like the 3 series, A4 etc...It gets looks. Very satisfied so far