Used 2008 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Very Displeased with Acura
By dissapacuraownr

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I Purchased my new 2008 Acura Tl in July of 08. Loved the design and features. First issue with car - tire vibration at 50-60 mph. Performance Acura could not fix. Said it is normal for the car to shimmy. 3000k developed a timing belt chirp/chatter at idle. Acura service bulletin for timing belt issue -kept car for 2 weeks -did not fix noise. Now a 18000k still have timing belt noise now with loud whine during acceleration above 3k rpm. After 1 year of ownership dashboard has faded light grey/whitish from black. Hesitates in hot weather. Full of rattles. Have met Acura regional rep - no resolve. They do their best to ignore me. Warranty is useless.

Navigation, Audio, Style

Engine without major design flaw. They know they have a timing belt issue that a Acura Service bulletin does not always fix. Once they know it can't be fixed they tell you its not a problem and ignore you. Fit and finish is poor compared to the last 2 acuras I owned.

Solid Car
By mtlpa

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Basically bought this car from the inside out. Compared to 330i, Audi A4 and felt the TL was a better value and much more spacious. After a year there have been no defects to speak of, so quite satisfied with build quality. Performance is quite good although torque steer is evident under hard acceleration. Ergonomics are excellent and runs fantastic on the highway. Manual mode transmission is a little disappointing as it does not force the transmission into quicker gear shifts.

Interior ergonomics, Navigation system, minimalist styling

Larger fuel tank, 18 gallons would be ideal. For 2010 go back to this body style and offer all wheel drive.

Not pretty, not bad, just ok
By jfinley

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not bad is as good as this car gets. I love the ride and features for the money. The gas mileage is great. Unfortunately, I have an electrical problem that seems to be undiagnosable and continues to plague my car. The torque steering is an issue with this car, but overcome with a little driving skill. I would prefer folding rear seats and better tires form the manufacturer, but pretty average overall. However, the value compared to its competition, was amazing. Many features for the money.

sound system, heated seats, auto windows

Folding rear seat, better tires and electric start.

08 TL Type S
By Happy Type S owner

2008 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my TL-S for a year and a half and have 13K miles on it. Overall a great car. I get 19-20 in the city and 30-32 on the highway at 72 MPH. Good suspension and great surround sound. Minor issues: fold down rear seat would be good, the trunk is so well finished there is no point to tie it down. Rain rolls off the roof onto the driver's seat when you open the door. No good CD case holder in the car. Passenger seat height adjustment would be nice. As you can see my issues are minor. I got 86 more HP than my 01 Accord for the price of 91 octane and with no real mileage penalty. Had considered a G35 but did not want RWD in the snow and the MPG was much higher for the Acura.

"looks", wheels, sound system, handling, ride, MPG, "sleeper" category, resale value

Height adjustable passenger seat, rain gutters in door jam, CD holder in console.

Excellent - At Any Price
By spotty

2008 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I let past reviews guide me, and I'm not sorry I did. I wanted a well-made sports sedan at a reasonable price that was fun to drive and that I wasn't having repaired every six months. And that is exactly what I got. I couldn't be happier. Every time I drive this car I feel I made the right decision. Having had German and American cars in the past, I was tired of the German repairs and the lack of American build-quality. While the exterior styling doesn't compare to BMW or Audi, I spend most of the time inside the car - not standing on the street looking at it, and when you're inside driving the car, you're thoroughly impressed. By far the best value for the money in this segment.

Interior fit & finish, best Navigation on the market, reliability.

Larger fuel tank, exterior styling (new ones are no improvement) - hire some Audi designers.