Used 2007 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Why I chose this Acura but not others
By BMR ETR

2007 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd TL - love the style. Also have a 2003 G35 which I'm thinking of trading but in no way will I buy the new 2009 TL. It's become one of the ugliest new vehicles on the road (also heavier & bloated). I think acura's 25 year old 2009 vehicle designer needs some design school mentoring. Also the new ZDX not only has the ugly front but it also has an "asteck" type rear. 5 of my professional colleagues who now have Acura's will not come back to the new - gen. quirky styles. Too bad; it's really a good engineered vehicle; but then so are many of it's competitors. The G37 stats will blow out the new TL stats - and it's not UGLY. Disappointed in Acura.

Love the exterior (European type) design. Interior is great as well. It's well proportioned in its design / details.

Start over again on the next gen of Acura designs. They have more unnecessary curves and points as any good design professional well tell Acura. Acura has copied many design ideas for 2009 except they forgot to stop designing.

Rolling perfection
By Blacura

2007 Acura TL 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I cross shopped all the others in this class (Lexus, Infiniti, even BMW and Mercedes) I couldn't get anywhere close to the options for the money. This car comes loaded for less. The build quality is great, the engineering in this vehicle is superb. They thought of everything. Every surface has a pleasant texture, the switches and knobs operate perfectly with weighted balance. The Navi is a must, it transforms the experience in the car. Others just have a moving map of sorts, this becomes the control center for the car. Audio, climate, everything. You can use conventional buttons, touch screen or voice commands. Handles and drives well for a larger car. Very sharp design inside and out.

I enjoy the touch screen navi and voice activation of just about everything. Lots of little things, like the way the doors are hinged, they will close by themselves once you get the hang of it. Very slick design. Window/roof control from the(switchblade) keyfob. ELS is the best I have heard in a car.

Not much to list here, I would have preferred if all of the interior lights had the same brilliant blue look as the gauges. Keyless operation, push button start and door lock/unlock. USB input instead of only AUX. All very minor design choices (not mistakes) I'm sure to help drive the cost down.

The Best
By oldacuralover

2007 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the best car overall that I have driven. It looks good, is screaming fast (faster than similar Lexus, BMW, and Infiniti I've driven). BMW 330xi was a close second to purchase, but a little plain on the interior and definitely overpriced. No problem with rattles except center speaker, and only on extremely rough roads (read eastern Washington's I-90). The sound of exhaust sealed deal for me. Sweet music to the ears. I often turn off the amazing DVD-A surround just to listen to the car. Beautiful. I have yet to find a smoother V6. Great looks. Solid build. Well thought out. No problems at all. Brakes are fantastic. Kids get creamy leather dirty, but cleans up nicely.

Exhaust note, looks, brakes, acceleration, gas mileage (30 mpg @ 78 mph), fit and finish, bluetooth, stereo, smell (pleasant new leather smell still plentiful).

I don't use an ipod, but I understand the complaint. The light leather I chose gets dirty easily, but it cleans up nicely and still smells like new leather. Otherwise, everything has been perfect.

40,000 mile follow-up post
By ah7771

2007 Acura TL Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

40k miles and no problems except for battery dying, but Acura replaced it free. This car runs as well as it did when it was brand new. I'm reading a lot of posts complaining about squeaks/rattles but on mine, it's minimal. Since buying this car, I did drive a friend's G35 which definitely has better acceleration off the line. However, the interior trim and lower cost of the TL still makes it the right choice in my book. One negative think I agree with is the ipod connector. I honestly didn't even know it existed until reading these posts because it's in such obscure location.

The car just puts everything at your finger tips (except ipod jack) and you feel safe/secure. The fuel economy is up to 25 average, which is outstanding.

Maybe a 6 speed at. That could close the performance gap with competitors.

75% Perfect
By AlmostPerfect

2007 Acura TL 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Oh, our beloved TL. Your misgivings are few, but substantial. We've owned the car for 28mos/24k now. Designed and destined for success in a "North America-Only" market, I feel it's a moderate success. Unlike some competitors, the cup holders really work; The seats and driving position are magnificent for those of larger proportions; The stereo is phenomenal; Fuel economy is above average; the 'value' equation is substantial. The shortfalls, however, drive us insane. The 45-series tires seem to have temper tantrums with the suspension tuning. The steering is incredibly vague and twitchy off-center. The transmission is clunky and crude. Low-end power is absent. Wouldn't buy another.

Overall comfort/driving position; "Americanized" ergonomics and features; Sound system; Highway fuel economy (for a large car), value for the $$$.

Feels like an old British transmission; Either use tires with a larger sidewall or stiffen the suspension; "wake up" the steering (no road feel at all); Improve low-end power; Allow 2 modes for VSA (it intervenes late and abruptly).