Used 2005 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 449 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura TL Sedan

View reviews for a specific TL model:

7 year total repairs low
By gary171

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My wife purchased the TL new with the 7 year/100,000 extended warranty.
The warranty just expired.
Total regular maintenance for 7 years are $3600--all done at Acura dealership.
Total repairs on my 2005 Infinity purchased the same day with same warranty are $9300.
I love my Infinity, but regular maintenance is expensive.
Acura repair bills very low over 7 years.

Best Car I ever owned
By edmundsposter8

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car since 2005 and have had zero issues with reliability.
I still receive alot of positive accolades for the navigation and bluetooth phone considering this was back in 2005.
If you take care of the car with regular intervals of maintenance there will be no issues.
The best part is there are millions of local Honda/Acura repairs shops that are highly competitive which makes repair costs a fraction of what you pay at the Dealership

Navigation 6-speed gear shifter Excellent fuel economy for a V6 (29mpg Highway) Reliability, no issues other than normal wear and tear. Replaced brakes, battery and tires since 2005, that's it.

None

Great looks, poor quality
By xopher1977

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I ordered my 2005 Acura TL Navi 6MT back in November of 2004 and took it home right off the truck when it arrived.
Initially I had no problems with the car, it looked great inside and out and was a huge upgrade over my 2004 Maxima which I sold a few month earlier.
The performance was great and the manual transmission was a blast to drive.
However no less than 3 months into my owner ship I started having problems; first I had to have an axle replaced, and things started going downhill from there.
7 years and nearly 60k miles later, there were way too many problems, including two door actuators, rattles everywhere, poor leather seat quality, and things literary falling apart on the inside

After seven years, the exterior look of the 3rd generation TL looks great. One of the best looking cars in this price range regardless of year. Manual transmission was very fun to drive (when the 3rd gear didn't literally pop out). A lot of power with minimal torque steer. Good handling for a FWD.

Very poor quality and reliability. In addition to what I listed above, I also had to have the battery replaced two times finally replacing it with an non-Acura battery. Center console retractable cover split in 5 places, magazine holder on back of front seat fell off. Cheap bulbs used in buttons around Navi screen and instrument panel. Cruise control switch on steering wheel broke and no longer stayed in when pressing it. Accelerator Pedal position sensor went bad putting me in a very dangerous situation. I'm out of space again, but I'll close with saying my first Acura will also be my last. I recently traded it in, in favor of a company that takes quality more seriously than Acura.

Abyss Blue Pearl 6 Speed Manual TL
By blacsteel1

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 05 TL used in 2007 w/just over 24K miles.
The car looked sharp, had a nice ride and was loaded w/everything (Navi, Hands Free Phone, Voice activation, moonroof etc.)
The transmission operated smoothly and the car had great performance and handling esp. considering its a front wheel drive vehicle.
One thing I did notice after a few months was that under brisk acceleration (not jack rabbit starts mind you) the car seemed to hesitate as if traction control had been activated.
I ended up ditching the Michelin Pilot MXMV... and getting Bridgestone RE 960AS (stayed w/ 17") and the car has handled like a dream ever since.

I love the manual transmission as it shifts very smoothly and reassuringly. There was a brief problem with the car shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but the dealer switched to GM transmission fluid under warranty and that solved the issue. XM radio is terrific w/ clean sound. Stereo is good although I think a bigger subwoofer is in order (personal preference). Handsfree Link is a megabonus that many cars costing significantly more than my car either don't have or it's an expensive option. NAV screen is large and very user friendly. Seats are comfortable, and everything is within easy reach. Performance wise, it's not the fastest off the line, but it builds speed quickly and corners well.

The paint job appears to be somewhat flimsy as even minor bumps against the fenders seem to chip the paint. The doors do not stay open easily when parked on an incline - minor, I know, but when the door closes on your legs a few times it stands out in your mind. The glove compartment can barely hold the owners manual and nothing else! Summary: My car now has 96K miles on it and still looks and runs great. The dealer wants me to trade it in on the newer model, but I actually prefer the styling on the 05's. The rear deck is kind of high - the car would greatly benefit from a rearview camera when reversing, however this feature has already been added to the newer models. Great car for the $

TL Junkie
By bgump

2005 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second TL we have owned and
I think once you own a TL you are hooked. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this car. It is such a pleasure to drive and so comfortable. A very reliable car. In the winter my husband puts snow tires on the car and I have absolutely no problems getting around the hills of Pennsylvania. We love the TL so much that we are thinking about trading it in for a 2012. This car has been so reliable that we don't even look at other makes of cars because we know we will be disappointed in the quality.

This car is just such a pleasure to drive. It is so comfortable for long trips

I have no complaints