Used 2004 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 747 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Smooth as butter
By gerardoesq

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

What a car. This is my second Acura actually. My first was a 2002 Acura RL fully loaded which I got with 100k and drove from VA to FL several times. NEVER gave me one dang issue.

After going through several other different brands, I came back to Acura. I never really understood why I went anywhere else. This car is simply brilliantly built.

Transmission shifts smoothly, suspension is rigid but comfortable, all electronics work harmoniously, leather holds up great unlike BMW and Audi.

The car is simply the most reliable machine you can get for your buck while still driving something that is luxurious, fun (I got the six speed) and great on gas.

GPS, Hands free bluetooth, voice command, touch screen, heated mirror and leather seats, side mirrors turn slightly when reversing, rear back up sensors.

Only issue I have is my left headlight has some water and vapor in it. I plan on having the warranty replace it. I would like to have a more potent sound system and an output for an ipod or mp3 (newer models do have this though)

2004 Dynamic
By claire9

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my TL new in early 2005 and it has been dealer serviced with 110,000 kms at the moment.
I have had nothing to service of significance except a new battery and a front brake job.
I have regularly treated the leather and it still looks like new.
The best tires I have found for the vehicle are Continental Extreme Contacts.
Unfortunately my in-dash cd player stopped working last year and I had Future Shop connect an ipod cable to the system for running my music in the car on trips.
I have had 4 acuras in my family (2 TLs and 2 Integras) and they have all been trouble free.
They are indeed well designed and well built vehicles.

Solid ride. Great acceleration.

This is a fantastic automobile!
By acurafan15

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Words cannot express how fond I am of this car; I have been in love with my TL ever since I first drove it. It just surpassed 181,000 miles, and I have enjoyed every single moment. Soon this car will be 10 years old, but it still manages to fetch compliments and stares daily. I have friends, family, and co-workers who don't believe the mileage. It has held up perfectly (paint, interior, mechanically) and even mechanics/Acura service centers find the mileage hard to believe. There is a reason that so many of these cars are still on the road, they are perfect! I love whenever someone complains about the maintenace cost/price tag of their car (BMW, etc.) and I never have anything to say.

The interior is extremely quiet and comfortable for a car with 270 HP. It handles on rails, and this car is very powerful! Quiet and comfortable when you need it, but exhilarating when you want to have some fun. Classy looks and charisma Value The design is elegant and still looks great after almost 10 years of being on the road. The maintenance/repair costs are high, but I never have to replace anything. It has held up very well. It has so many standard features (Xenon headlamps, Bluetooth, XM radio) and was so ahead of its time. In fact, this was the first car to have Bluetooth. I get around 24 MPG average (on premium), but I have surpassed 35 MPG on long highway trips.

My only complaint is that the cup holders are right in front of the shifter. If I have a drink in there and want to use the steptronic feature, it can be a little difficult. There really isn't anywhere else that they could have been placed though, so the complaint is miniscule.

Transmission Issues
By darltk

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my car since 2006 and have kept it under maintenance. It has treated me well for this period of time with occasional issues here and there. With 168,000 miles my transmission went and Motor mounts had to be replaced. Transmission was $5200 at the dealer. I opted to have it rebuilt elsewhere for $3300. I have also replaced the Motor Mounts. I guess certain things are to be expected but there were obvious issues with 2002-2003 and 2004's that were built earlier. I still believe these cars are reliable but some of these issues may be things that can be eventual problems with this model year. I also seem to be having some issues with the hands free freezing and dropping off.

Options for the price of the vehicle were good. XM, Hands Free, Power windows down with FOB, Xenon lights. Good Performance and Power.

The 2012 models seem to have included some improvements. AWD, better Trans, Roomier.

A love affair like no other
By harrybarry104

2004 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought my Acura TL with 153k. I was skeptic at even looking when I heard of the mileage but it has been an absolute gem. The build quality surpasses Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. I turn heads almost everywhere I go, and have been getting amazing gas mileage. You would never guess the age or mileage on this car. I have to say, if you're looking for a great car, this is it. I've only owned the car for a week, but have made several long distance trips. Everytime I sit in my Acura, I smile, and I'm constantly looking for an excuse to go somewhere. What a great vehicle from Honda.

RWD would have been nice.