Used 2003 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 458 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Decent vehicle
By Fred

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The transmission went out at 50,000 miles but Acura replaced it under warranty. My stereo control on the steering wheel had a loose ground which I paid the dealer to fix. Other than normal maintenance and tires I have done nothing to the car. I think Acura cares about their service. I was told their dealers get fined by Acura if you rate them less than perfect. I would buy another Acura.

Good acceleration. Smooth ride. Superior suspension to other cars in its class.

Needs lights on the steering wheel controls for night time driving. Could use more head room for taller drivers. Find a way to run it on less than 90 octane gasoline without sacrificing performance.

Still great after 7 years
By ZacharyV

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Now with 170,000 miles, this car still runs great with no problems. Transmission was fixed under recall several years ago. Otherwise, no major problems. Very fun to drive and show off. One great looking car in nighthawk black Pearl. (and get compliments on it still).

The Bose sound system is wonderful. Also, the Sport shift mode is loads of fun.

None

Very Pleased
By ohheck

2003 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 03 TL used with 61k miles. The car belonged to a coworker who traded in in on a new one. The car had a full history of all service work performed,done only at the selling dealership. At 67k, I had the brakes replaced. At 70k, I noticed a whine in the transmission and took it to the dealership. The Service Mgr. rode with me to check it out and decided to keep the car for evaluation. He called back 4 hours later and said that Acura and the dealership were going to replace the tranny at no cost to me. Very pleased. I get 22/23 mpg in town and 32 mpg on the road. This is an excellent car.

Looks, Ride, gas mileage, performance.

None

Fun TL Type S
By Deputydog35

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is one of the best cars I have ever had! It really quick and shames all those expensive German cars! I have owned my Type S for 5 years now and have had only on problem. The TRANSMISSION! It has be replaces 3 times and now is on it's way out again with only 40,000 miles on the new tranny! Other then that the car has be PERFECT! I am now buying a 2010 TL. These cars are built to last minus the transmission on the older TL's. I also love the Nav even if it's a little slow!

FAST! FAST! FAST! Loved the Onstar feature! Touch screen Nav

TRANSMISSION - Acura should replace all these trans for FREE! If you were going to buy this car make sure you check the transmission!

Pretty good all around car
By alehr

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2005 with about 75,000 miles. Unfortunately, about one year or 6,000 miles later my transmission failed. Acura did not cover my specific transmission problem for whatever reason so I ended up spending about $3500 to replace. Other than that, I did replace the timing belt just as a precaution but nothing else major. I still love my car and plan on buying another Acura when this one goes. However, beware of the transmission!

I personally like the longer body style of the car and the seats are super comfy.

Transmission, transmission, transmission.