Used 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews - 293 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Still great after 7 years
By ZacharyV

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Now with 170,000 miles, this car still runs great with no problems. Transmission was fixed under recall several years ago. Otherwise, no major problems. Very fun to drive and show off. One great looking car in nighthawk black Pearl. (and get compliments on it still).

The Bose sound system is wonderful. Also, the Sport shift mode is loads of fun.

None

Fun TL Type S
By Deputydog35

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is one of the best cars I have ever had! It really quick and shames all those expensive German cars! I have owned my Type S for 5 years now and have had only on problem. The TRANSMISSION! It has be replaces 3 times and now is on it's way out again with only 40,000 miles on the new tranny! Other then that the car has be PERFECT! I am now buying a 2010 TL. These cars are built to last minus the transmission on the older TL's. I also love the Nav even if it's a little slow!

FAST! FAST! FAST! Loved the Onstar feature! Touch screen Nav

TRANSMISSION - Acura should replace all these trans for FREE! If you were going to buy this car make sure you check the transmission!

Pretty good all around car
By alehr

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2005 with about 75,000 miles. Unfortunately, about one year or 6,000 miles later my transmission failed. Acura did not cover my specific transmission problem for whatever reason so I ended up spending about $3500 to replace. Other than that, I did replace the timing belt just as a precaution but nothing else major. I still love my car and plan on buying another Acura when this one goes. However, beware of the transmission!

I personally like the longer body style of the car and the seats are super comfy.

Transmission, transmission, transmission.

Big disappointment
By cwms97

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 Acura TL-S in 2006 with about 64,000 miles on it. The car would have been perfect except for the bad transmission. Within 3 months of purchasing the car, I had to get my transmission replaced. A year later the transmission failed again. Leith Acura replaced it the 1st two times. Then 2yrs later, the transmission went out again. Acura wouldn't replace it because of the mileage on my car so I had to get another company to fix my car. Then 1 year later, I am having transmission failure again. I am so dissapointed. Such a nice car with a horrible transmission. I will never buy another Acura again!!!!!!!!!!

Loved the interior design.

Acura need to own up to their incompetence. Find out why so many 03 Acura TL/TL-S owners are having transmission issues and correct the problem. No one wants to pay alot of money for a luxury vehicle and have to put a transmission in every year.

disappointing
By ccccccc

2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Has well documented transmission problems. I have a 7 yr 100k warranty that expired 3 mos ago & i have 94k. I bought this as a certified used car at an acura dealer. Due to known issues & under mileage talked to Acura Client Svcs. but did no good. S.O.L. Replacement $4500. Do your research or better skip it

roomy, sunroof, bose stereo

Acura you are well aware of your transmission problems on this car. Headlights known for leaking and shorting out HIDs, cost to replace $1300. Ridiculous What a huge disappointment this car has been