Used 2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S

View reviews for a specific TL model:

So Far, So Good
By Mdblimited

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my TL with 38k pre-certified from a dealership. It has been reliable, comfortable, and economical, plus good performance. The original Michelin tires are junk (bought Bridgestone Turanzas) and the foglights are an invitation for rocks. My vehicle is black and has a little chipping on the roof that the dealership alledges is from sap. There are no other paint defects. The transmission has been fine, but it does shift with force into second gear when driving slowly. I don't know if this is because the car has so much torque or a tranny problem. Either way, it is covered to 100k... and it will be traded in before then. The seats could be deeper. But it is fast and reliable.

Mileage (30+ hwy), Performance, Reliability, Interior Refinement, Sharp Exterior

Deeper Bucket Seats, Illuminated Buttons on Steering Wheel, Wider Tires (should have 225s instead of 215s)

Love my TL-S
By snowman81

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Tranny problems exist in some CL/TL/MDX but Acura has provided an extension on the warranty to 7yr/100,000 miles. Other than that the car is wonderful. I've added a few things for my preference to get a little more juice out of the engine and changed the suspension, however, stock the car does extremely well. A great combo of sport and luxury with the Type S.

Type S features, Navigation System, Sport Shift

Move e-brake location, full size spare, more room in back seat (leg room)

Nothing but a Honda for me!
By Honda Lover

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2002 Acura TL-type S used with 37,000 miles; I believed it was a leased vehicle before I purchased it. This is my 2nd Acura purchase; my first was a 1990 Acura Legend LS that had 186k miles on it when I sold it. I have been nothing but happy with the purchase of my TL. And, I know that I am not going to get ripped off by the dealer when I take it there for service.

sportiness, horsepower, heated seats

rear wheel wells that wouldn't rust so quickly in the cars life. a sunroof that opens all the way into the car.

Quality Ride
By Adam

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car from the dealerships pre-owned certified program which gives you one more year to the base warranty and 12,000 extra miles. Good program. The car had 12,800 miles upon delivery. It has been very reliable and enjoyable to drive. I have not experienced any of the transmission problems that other drivers have experienced, maybe they should try servicing the transmission every 35,000 miles like I do to avoid potential problems. Lubricatiuon is everything! I had one recall issue to deal with which was minor, transmission needed a second gear jet kit that the dealer installed to avoid any potential overheating. I had never even experienced a problem but installed the kit anyway

Bose stereo sounds great, full power, good quality leather interior. Vehicle stability control, upgraded suspension with the S model, sport shift transmission is excellent and very smooth, Acura does a very good job with reducing torque steer. Very good dashboard layout with excellent quality guages

More bolstering for the front seats and better lower back support

Still getting compliments!
By michaelrt

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have mostly highway miles on my car (90k) and it has yet to fail on me. Got a new transmission at 65k miles, but only because the dealer notices something that I wouldn't have (I'm pretty anal about noises and drive changes). Mine is Blue Pearl and people still compliment me on the car when they see it. And everyone who sits in it loves the all-black design. I'd like if the paint were a little tougher, but it still shines in most light. The original tires were crap (Michelin), but the handling and drive GREATLY improved with Falkens and Yokohamas. The gas mileage has been great. I got 32mpg highway at 75-80mph numerous times. Usually I get 25mpg mixed.

Gas mileage for the power, color (blue), interior, overall reliability, highway acceleration, type S leather hugging seats, stiff suspension

transmission problems, fog lights break too often