Used 2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Great Sporty Sedan
By JS

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up my 02 TL in Florida and drove it up to Minnesota about 64,000 miles ago. I now have 112,000 miles on it and it still drives just as nice. I just put in a timing belt, brakes, rotors, crossover cooling line. Acura gave me a 100,000 mi. warranty on the transmission since there were issues with a select few. The only thing I notice is that there sometimes is some hesitation when shifting into D5. You have to wait 1-2 seconds before applying the gas. Great fuel mileage. 26-28 city / 28-31 hwy. Record trip was made with a 34 mpg tank.

Navigation, control buttons on steering wheel, Bose sound.

Premium fuel only, CDs sometimes need assistance with ejecting.

Nice Car
By Monkeyking

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Have had this car since late 2001 (around 77K miles). The acceleration of the type-s has been nice and the car is comes with a lot of great standard options. The navigation system is great, if a bit dated now. The transmission has been unreliable from the start and has been replaced twice. Both times the dealer gave me a hard time before replacing it. It's an nice and reliable car, but it's boring. Acura seems to have fairly bland styling in general. I would buy an Audi or BMW instead next time.

Acceleration. Navigation. Steering wheel mounted radio controls. Reliable (except transmission).

Transmission replaced twice already.

Great Car
By Michael B

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Car has mostly been a pleasure. Only problem is that transmission has been recalled and I am on tranny #4. Acura is great though and warranties it for life. Performance for this car when it came out was amazing and it still competes with today's best. Besides the transmission issues there have been no problems. The nav system is the best in the business. Gets me from A-B in style and fast!

Nav system, sport seats, sound of the vtec kicking in, easy to read gauges, road handling

If they could only make a transmission that lasted the life of this car. I heard at the time Acura couldn't match a transmission to fit the torque but they still haven't mastered it.

Fun car to own and drive
By Dave

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our car is primarly driven by my wife. She loves it - in fact this is the first car we've owned that she truly loves. She always found fault with any of the other cars we've owned in 45 years of marriage. I rarely drive it except for long trips. It is a remarkable vehicle to drive on the highway.

Looks, handling, essentially maintenance free.

I would strengthen the brake system. Discs are only good for 30-35,000 miles

113k and going
By Colorado Springs TLS

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Still running strong after 4 years of ownership and 113k. No problems with the car whatsoever. Just the normal maintainance, tires, brakes, etc. I can't complain about this car. I have had 2 Hondas before this one, and I still see no reason to trade. I haven't had any transmission problems. Aegian Blue is still appealing each time I see the car. Good MPG around 30 MPG highway, 22-25 city.

Bose stereo, engine performance and overall handling.

Would recommend AWD as an option for the vehicle.