Used 2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 158 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Great mix of Power/Gas Mileage
By gonzalgi21

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

02 TL-S bought the car with 64k miles which is amazingly low miles for an 8 year old car. First thing that i noticed right away soon as i bought the car is the POWER the car is extremely fast and the gas mileage is pretty darn good for a 260 hp engine, audio system is also very good.Good old Honda reliability. Unfortunately owning this car is stressful because you never really know when your transmission is going to fail even though i haven't had that problem i know it's coming and there's nothing i can do about it. If this car didn't have these transmission issues i would literally want this car forever.

engine power whips you back in your seat, seats are extremely comfortable, car looks good and not overdone, hid lights are crystal white light up the whole road, Bose audio system sounds amazing.

transmission transmission transmission. mine currently shifts like butter but i know its gonna go sooner or later so owning this car is like a candle burning from both ends.

Love my car but not the transmission
By Ralph

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car "pre-owned" off a lease, 3 yrs old, 30k miles. I have loved this car. Transmission went out at 104K miles and 7 yr, 9 mos from date of purchase. Transmission was replaced, just under the mandated extended warranty, but told new transmission has no warranty. What? I've had two problems with windshield wipers. Other than that, it is a great car. My dealership has been great to me (Atl)

Everything. Rides comfortably, great stereo, great seats, great controls.

Transmission issues.

Terrific car, everyone loves it
By DMac

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it in 2007 w/ 35K mi. I haven't had any trans problems. I would say that it is a little slow to go into D5 or R and a little slow to downshift for passing. Using auto- manual solves the passing issue. The lower profile tires make a big difference compared to the non-TypeS. The rear spoiler adds a sportier look, which it needs also.

Powerful engine. Comfortable drivers seat. Handling is great. Passengers love the back seat and legroom.

Dashboard glare on windshield is significant. Upgrading DVD nav is too expensive.

Acura is just average
By Gerhard

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Acura based on consumer reports reliability and performance recommendations. However, my Acura did not live up to my expectations. I spent the extra money on Acura over domestic products and other foreign brands because I thought I was getting top quality. Instead I got many headaches. For the record, I still like the design and I like the performance. However, I did not like the fact that I have had to have my transmission changed 2 times. I am on my third trans and now I have to purchase a new timing belt that is supposed to cost over $1000. And that is only at 7100. Needless to say I would not recommend this model, nor would I endorse this brand any more.

Worst Car since my 1977 Chevrolet
By R Jarrell

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm on the second Transmission now. It's going bad and the dealer won't acknowledge. Among other failures blower motor, emissions sensor, brake rotors, leaked for over a year - defective rear view mirror, trim is coming loose on dash. Thin metal will dent at the slightest bump. Awful quality. Great mileage though but they lightened it up too much. I will never buy another Acura. Not as good as a regular Honda.

Horsepower & acceleration, gas mileage.

Scrap and start over.