Used 2002 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura TL

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Great car-bad trans.
By Jeff

2002 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Factor 2,500 into the cost of a major transmission rebuild at an independent shop if the car is past
the warranty (5,000 at the dealer).
It's a matter of when not if this will be needed.
My original transmission failed at 30,000 (covered by warranty at no cost) and the replacement failed
after 73,000 and American Honda would not help with the cost at all.
Hope their new cars are better, I'm not going to take the chance.
Time to try another manufacturer.

One of the best
By francis15

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought this one back in 02 TL type S new and it's been a very reliable car.
Great power, fun to drive.
Runs like the day we bought it.
Not pleased with the Xenon lights.
Acura wanted $1,200.00 to replace the ballast
I got a new OEM one aftermarket for $150, then $150 to install.
The 2nd i did myself.
The xenon OEM bulbs are about $95 ea at any auto parts place.
You can get aftermarket xenon bulbs to work for about $16 for 2 but supposedly can affect ballast.
mine seem to work fine but i am now selling.
My wife wants an 2015 MDX.
I have to say I am impressed with the 02 TL overall.
Acura will gouge the daylights out of you but it is a high performance car.

Do away with HID bulbs, that dual standard/auto transmission is useless. Don't over complicate engineering in an attempt to increase profit on maintenance.

I Love My '02 TL-S!!!!!!
By incinerary

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This was MY first car. Parents supplied me with a '90 Civic for a year. Bought my TL early fall of 2012 with 169K and the fixed tranny and now a year later it has 187K with no problems. I take very good care of my car, I do 5000 mile oil changes with Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil and FRAM Ultra Synthetic Filter, & I don't beat on my car, keep it below 4K RPMs. When looking for a car, i wanted something nobody else has with a great mix of everything from looks to performance. This was the perfect match! It has a very smooth, quiet, and comfortable ride; I can go for a 2 hour drive and not feel soar afterwards. If something happened to this car, I would no doubt get another one!!

This cars looks are amazing! Got it in Aegean Blue Pearl exterior and Black interior and when I saw it in person for the first time, boy was there a huge smile on my face! Everybody loves my car and I've gotten complements from random people too! :D I also have the Acura spoiler and that gives it a way better and sportier look! Interior is roomy and comfortable, & I love my heated leather seats in the winter! Heating and AC kick in really fast. I got new Akebono Brake Pads, Smooth Centric Rotors, and Bridgestone Turanza tires and driving and braking is all very smooth, quiet, and comfortable. Also has plenty of power under the hood and good traction, no hydroplaning and good in the winter!!!

Some folds down rear seats for more cargo space would be nice, but it already has a pretty big trunk. Also from going to a sub-compact vehicle to a mid-sized luxury seden was quite a difference in terms of size. Parking took a little bit to get used to. A tighter turning radius would be nicer. Also the rear visibility isn't bad, but blind spots and backing up was easier in my old car. But this car has a down-tilting side view mirror when the car is put in reverse, and that's a nice feature. Last, I know it's an old car, but some sort of AUX port for my iPod would be nice. Oh well, still has a nice sound system setup in it.

Great car to drive
By luvtypes

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my TL about 4 years ago, and didn't have any major issues. All acura and Honda buyers have ideas about the bad transmission problem but still does not maintain it the way it should be taken care of, i changed transmission oil every 10K and now its just over 300KM on my car and still running strong...Love the car

Loved my '02 TL Type S
By tl_lover828

2002 Acura TL 3.2 Type-S 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my "baby" with about 75k miles 4 years ago. I currently have 220k. I regularly service my car and up until 3 years ago, no problems.
It is sad that this beauty has such an issue with the tranny. I paid out of pocket the 1st time, 4k with AAMCO. Acura would only offer a 30 day warranty. (??)
3 yrs & few mos later, it went again. I, well I tried to, have it repaired again. AAMCO had no idea what was wrong nor how to repair it. They had her for almost 6 weeks, with a rental, after I squawked so much.

I finally got her back but she not been the same since.

I am in the market to buy another car, but nothing else seems to meet my fancy.. I am willing to try a TL again.

Sleek interior, navigation, roomy, sporty exterior, handling, well thought out instrument panel, 6 cd changer, bose sound system. Uhm everything except the transmission issues and that Acura does not stand up to the obvious malfunctions!!

Own up to the goof... you have a phenomenal machine here and consumers that love it. Customer service and integrity goes a very long way... ask Johnson and Johnson