Used 1998 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Last leg
By Gale

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 1998 with 35 miles. Brand new! I was at Cary Autopark with Devon Wallup. This car has been the most dependable car ever. It has about 300,000 miles and is now ready for the pasture. I will purchase another Acura when we retire this one.

Owned a used 98 TL
By John Saunders

1998 Acura TL Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan

The car I have was built in Japan and it runs like it. It is a great car, I would not be afraid to drive my car from the East to the West Coast. Honda makes some great cars. I do feel the newer TLs look nice but started getting small and cheap, but so has every other car out there.

Excellent Car
By lizaven17

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I got this car back in 2010 as a starter. Since then it's needed an upstream O2 sensor and a wiper motor. I have fallen in love with this car and worked a great deal on it. My TL has done two coast-to-coast cross country trips with stellar performance. The car is kinda rare in the US so parts can get expensive if you break the wrong thing. But overall this car is great. A word of caution to fellow tuners out there: the design of this car is kinda nonsensical. Things like wiring a subwoofer are extremely difficult. But as a basic car, the 5cyl is really reliable and the interior is spacious and comfy. A pure-blooded GT car if you ask me.

Leather interior, Rare G25A motor, Sturdy frame, responsive steering

More flexible audio system, more parts on the market

Loved It Until 130K
By caitkmc

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

Bought my Acura in college at 66K miles, no major problems or complaints for the first 4 years! I drove it hard too. But as soon as I hit that 130K mark EVERYTHING started to go. My car quickly went from being valued above 5K to now I'm hoping to get 1K for trade in. The breaks, the radiator, the intake system (?), and the timing belt all went within 1 year of each other. VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX!! The three different mechanics all told me the same thing - it can cost 2 times the amount to fix these high performance cars as even just a basic Honda. I wouldnt advise anyone to buy one of these cars with high miles, especially if maintenance costs are a big concern. But always drove beautifully!

The interior!! The smooth quiet drive, the dependability until high miles, very comfortable!

Maintenance costs!!

LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Erin

1998 Acura TL Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 10 months and am so happy that i made the choice to buy it. The body is in great condition with no rust and is a very rugged car to drive. When i test drove it i was very impressed with how it hugged the road. When its time to get a newer car im sticking to the Acura TL.

Very comfortable and reliable