Used 2003 Acura RSX Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura RSX

View reviews for a specific RSX model:

Head and Heart both Love It
By Beltway Driver

2003 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my RSX Type-S in September 2003 as a commuting car for a daily drive around the Washington beltway, and it's helped me survive the area's brutal driving conditions in style. The car is a great value in purchase price, in gas mileage and in the low operating costs/perfect reliability. At the same time I still get a seat-of-the pants thrill every time I rev it up to merge onto the highway or whip around a curve. I looked at many other cars before buying; none compared in style and driving pleasure in this price range. Road noise and stiff seats are a small tradeoff I'm happy to make for this much sport-driving pleasure.

Acura's "everything comes standard" policy, great-feeling stick shift, red dash lights, plenty of power outlets for added audio equipment (iPod, XM radio), hatchback (I can get amazing amounts of stuff in my car!)

Occasional buzz shifting into third gear is a departure from the silky shift I normally feel; I still miss the center armrest; big blind spot requires careful checking before lane changes; heated seats would be nice!

Acura RSX - Transmission Issues
By Scott

2003 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like everything about this car, except for the transmission. The 5 speed grinds often in 2nd and 3rd gear, and over 1900 people have signed a petition regarding this. Honda blames the driver...most of whom have been driving sticks for years. And no other manufacture seems to have a website dedicated to this problem. 3 Trips to the dealer and nothing has been done to fix or improve the problem. They have also not fixed my side airbag light that comes on and stays on more and more often. The Acura rep was rude and insulting of my shifting. The fun to drive factor is gone.

Versitile - Engine

Redesign transmission, clutch, clutch linkage, or whatever is causing thousands of owners to have shifting problems.

Growing Out of My RSX
By luotodm

2003 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I found a brand new 2003 still in the showroom in July 2004. Dealer took $4k off, and I couldn't pass it up. Absolute blast to drive on curvey roads and highways alike. Suspension is tight (but bumpy at times), and enough power to pass anyone. Hatchback with folding seats has been life-saver. The clutch requires extra leg-work and can give you a cramp after awhile. Also you have to get the clutch all the way to the floor, no room for mistakes, or you'll grind gears. Get the auto if doing a lot of stop-and-go. Had trouble with my starter, and was replaced after 4th visit. Perfect car for recent grad. But I need more cargo space, and 4 doors would be nice.

Power, good looks, sunroof. Lots of cargo space with seats down. Real fun to drive, and has a little bit of functionality

Get a lighter clutch feel, Put an armrest/storage space between front seat. The footwell of the front passenger seat is awkward, it's hard to fit your feet in just right.

Amazing, but could be rounded out more
By John

2003 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for about 23 months now and I drive about 2000 miles per month. My driving is about 1/2 city and 1/2 freeway and I've taken it on some longer road trips also. It has great gas mileage, great acceleration and tight steering and suspension. The seats definitely get uncomfortable, but they also let you feel the road in a sporty way. After the first few hundred miles, I thought the 6-speed transmission was broken, but it turns out that Acura just makes 'em "different". Third gear is a little odd (you'll probably grind it from time to time, even if you're very experienced). The BOSE sound system is nothing special compared to other luxury sound systems.

Gas mileage, tight and sporty steering and suspension. Quick acceleration. Extremely low and predictable operating costs - maintenance on this thing is CHEAP and nothing has ever broken (except for a headlight that was only working from time to time until it was replaced.)

Lots of road noise gets tiring quickly. Seats could be a little more comfortable, and for an Acura one would generally expect power and heated seats which would be a nice improvement. Would also like to see HID lighting and a GPS navigation option.

Great car but a little bumpy
By Automatic

2003 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle because of it's reputation. However, I felt a little disappointed with only two things; City Gas mileage and the bumpy ride. The suspension is great but the shocks are bouncing you all over the place. It's a little nerve racking. Other than that I have to say the car is excellent. Enough storage space and the controls are within reach. Keep in mind this is not really a racing car its a sporty look and feel but it's not going to take you from 0- 60 anytime quick, unless you step on it and suck all the gas out of your tank. Which bring me to the next point of gasoline. It doesn't have good gas mileage in the city but the highway it's great.

The stylish look, storage capacity and comfort. Triptronic automatic transmission.

Better shock and armrest desired.