Used 2002 Acura RSX Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura RSX Hatchback

View reviews for a specific RSX model:

Not what I expected
By aspen9120

2002 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first Acura and I was buying it for the quality, both in reliability and solidity, but I've been disappointed in both. With under 50,000 miles I've already had two sensors go out, both of which were extremely expensive (think 10x more than other cars I've had!). The other complaint I have is with the noise level. I really expected this car to be solid as a rock and it was when I bought it in the summer. In the winter the dashboard sounds like it may fall off whenever I hit a bump. This seems to be a common problem with owners though Acura has never heard of it. I really had high hopes for this little car and maybe I was just unlucky.

Styling, fun to drive, good gas mileage.

The extreme rattling makes the car feel cheap, a luxury brand - really any car that was $23,000 new in 2002 - should be more solid.

I Love this car!
By RSX2002chicago

2002 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my car new on October 8th, 2001. To date I have had only 1 problem with the car and that was a faulty O2 sensor at 79,000 miles. That's it. Everything else has been routine maintenance( fluid flushes, filters, brakes, wipers). This car has been so reliable. I've driven it to Texas and back and in the mountains in Colorodo near Longmont/ Estes park and back to Chicago. This car is super reliable. Handling is great. Steering feel is perfect. You cut the wheel and the car responds instantly. Perfectly weighted steering. Fuel economy is 30's highway, 24 to 26 city. Drops to 17 to 19 in the winter (idling/warm up).

Hatchback versatility, Steering feel, VTEC engine, ability to start in 2nd gear (helpful in snow), driver oriented cockpit, red instruments, seat design is great (nice bolstering), Steering wheel size and shape are perfect. I love my RSX and plan to keep it another 10 years.

It's been discontinued, so first and foremost bring it back. Keep the hatchback design for versatility. Keep the seats & cockpit design. Add either a SH-AWD option or a limited slip diff. More HP won't hurt. Keep MPG the same or better. Heated seats, mirrors, & a windshield wiper de-icer.

Absolutely LOVE It!
By SoCalGirl

2002 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I never knew I could love a car so much! I bought my RSX new in Aug. 2001 with 50 miles on it. I now have 112,000 miles on it and am nearly in tears of the thought that I have to give it up for a more 'family friendly' car (this car wasn't really made to haul car seats around in). I've had absolutely no problems with this car. I use regular octane in it and take it in for regular service to an Acura dealer. It handles like a sports car and hugs the curves. The hatchback provides so much room for hauling stuff in! Gas mileage is fantastic at 31/36 MPG. Even though my car is 7 years old, it does not feel old when I get into it. I will be SO sad when I have to eventually say goodbye to it.

The sports car handling, red illumination of instrument panel, low profile wheels, and the overall quality of the vehicle. It is worth every penny! Gas mileage is awesome. VERY FUN TO DRIVE!

Rough riding...but that is to be expected with a sporty car so don't buy it if you are expecting a luxury ride. I really can't say anything bad about it!

Best Car I've ever owned
By Drum Major

2002 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

All the performance of a sports car, with all the reliability of a top of the line Japanese car.

Semi-automatic 5-speed. Dashboard layout. Sporty ride. Great on gas. Leg and head room. (I'm over 6 feet)

Rear view visibility. Rain sliding off the roof to the inside with windows slightly open during a storm.

Niggling problems spoil a great car
By creweser

2002 Acura RSX Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive, but have had a lot of little problems. Had to have power door lock motor replaced (very expensive - out of warranty) and now the hatch will not open - no way to manually override the lock, even from the inside. Side mirrors need to be heated on a car with such poor rear visibility. Ride is rough and noisy. On the other hand, driving is fun, with perky acceleration and good handling.

Engine - very willing to rev. Aerodynamics - the car just sits down harder at high speed. 5-speed transmission - smooth and easy.

Heated side mirrors, better cupholder location, manual override for hatch lock, better seats (not good for long trips).