Used 2002 Acura RSX Consumer Reviews - 333 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura RSX

View reviews for a specific RSX model:

Great car, ruined by Honda bean counters.
By thr33wayclimax

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car since I was 16, and am now 26. Bulletproof reliability, only the A/C compressor has failed, twice.

RATTLES/RATTLES....and more rattles. Maybe I never noticed or cared when I was younger, but this thing rattles like no other, the Tweeters, dash, trunk, doors, glove compartment I could go on, they all rattle. I feel like the car is going to fall apart when I hit a pothole.

2002 stock seats are terrible, NO support Hard seat bottoms. Replaced with seats from a 2005, much better!

With all these issues, I cannot get myself to let it go, I don't think I'll ever sell this car.

Manual transmission is the 3rd best I've had the pleasure of using. (1st=s2000, 2nd=FR-S) vtec cam switch never gets old as does reving to 8k rpm. Handles great with A-spec Suspension.

LSD, better brakes, steering feel. Build Quality, rattled way too much, maybe that's why they stopped making it.

Daily driver for 10 years
By oaklandfan78

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

My RSX has gone through a lot over the past 10 years and put on over 145K miles but it's still running strong.
It's been through quite a lot.
Among the highlights were how many times, it flawlessly handled the California drive from LA to SF.
At one point, it also became my utility vehicle and the fold-down seats spent many weekends lugging around DJ equipment.
It now serves as my daily commuter with good gas mileage and still evokes a strong feeling of excitement when I get on the road each morning.
Hopefully I can make it to 200K one day.

Reliability - no real major maintenance issues besides oil, tires, brakes Good handling and fun to drive. Interior - It's simple, but I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the controls and gorgeous red lighting on the dash.

Noisy cabin. CD player broke at some point. Interior and exterior are showing some wear from use, but aftermarket parts can be easily found.

Great Car!!!
By tonyanytime

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

To all those who had bad experiences, suck it up! Ive owned over 20 different vehicles in the last 10 years, all used from Lexus, Audi A4, BMW 325i, 528i, Infiniti Q45, two F-150s, Oldsmobile, Acura 2.5 TL, 2 preludes, a civic with motor swap, dodge ram, and the list goes on. All had varying degrees of reliability BASED on previous care. All had maintenance concerns arise some more costly than others but you must accept that when purchasing a car. It makes me sick to see someone bashing this Acura. I havent driven mercedes yet, so until then THIS IS THE BEST HANDLING, SOLID DRIVING CAR OF ALL IVE OWNED AND DRIVEN. Im eager to drive it everywhere and i bought it with 129k. Its getting a turbo

Consider a rear wheel drive platform

It's staying in the family
By jeff88

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Am selling this car to my son who is a college student and needs a car. Bought it used with 87k miles and it now has almost 125k. Needed a new clutch @ 115k and has brand new tires on it with a recent major service done @ 120k. This car seems like a new car and it's over 10 years old. Yes, it rides rough and has a noisy engine on trips but handles like a top line sports car and is a blast to drive with revs up. Around town gas mileage is 26, on some trips have gotten over 35, almost 36 mpg. I trade between 89 and 93 to average the 91 octane the manual suggests.

Great handling, lot's of trunk space, looks really good -- has maintained it's eye appeal after 10 years. The engine is strong when you climb past 3000 rpm. Wish I could clone this car and keep one of them.

None. BTW, never, and I mean never put Bridgestone pole position ultra high performance tires on this car with this suspension - they are rocks to begin with. Stay with Michelin or Yokohama avs, they are a better match for handling/performance and ride comfort.

Last Acura I will ever buy
By Bub24

2002 Acura RSX 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5A)

I absolutely hate this car! It has been nothing but an expensive lemon. 1st the oil pump went bad ($800) then the vtec pressure switch $74, then the vtech actuator. Now the timing chain is stretched. 83,000 miles are you serious? Oh and forget about finding replacement parts at your local autoparts store. Almost every piece of this abomination is special order or my favorite "dealer only $$$$ part" I am done with Acura and there overpriced crap.$1366 to replace a timing chain!What!

body was cool looking and gas mileage was good.

Well they don't make them anymore so i guess there's no point.