Used 2013 Acura RDX Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Acura RDX

View reviews for a specific RDX model:

Good vehicle but lacking
By spottedone

2013 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my RDX for over a year and 17000+ miles. Overall I like the car especially when I was averaging 23+ mpg. Over the last several month my mpg has dropped to 21, still not bad. I have had it to the delearship for a full synthetic oil change. I also had to pay for a front wheel alighment which was needed. I have upgraded my gas to Chevron on their advice but it has not made a difference.
I noticed that the 2014 MDX has the same mpg ratings and now has touch screen controls which I miss on my old Pioneer flat panel. I also agree that I do not feel like I am riding in a luxury car.
One serious problem which I took to the dealer was tire slippage when turning from a stop.

Power. Visibility, Parking ease

Touch screen, simpler controls. Better seats, materials.

First Maintenance Visit
By traveldr

2013 Acura RDX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The RDX with a US News Car Rating of 8.5 was chosen over other vehicles with better US News Car Ratings, e.g., Subaru Outback 8.9, Lexus RX350 8.6, etc.
Other vehicles had better Maintenance plans (60000 free maintenance on Outback) and better interest rates (0% vs. 1.9%)
First maintenance visit -- had to come back to dealer for replacement of damaged sensor wire -- physical inspection of part shows either misassemble or installation error by tool marks on part + I purchased road hazard insurance and was still charged $185.
Car pulls slightly to right after maintenance visit - tires rotated without trueing, rebalance or road check which any reputable tire dealer would hve done

1) Spacious/comfortable front and rear seating 2) Good Acceleration / Smooth Transmission 3) Adequate Gas Mileage / ~28 mpg highway 4) Comfortable Ride Quality 5) Decent Sound System 6) Good Camera System

First year Issues 1) Warning Lights activated due to Sensor Wire Damage to left front tire (I was charged $185 and 2 days to repair) 2) Tire cover over Spare Tire warped due to very slight moisture absorption (Ultra cheap construction)/ Needs Rubberized Mat 3) Car pulls to right after tire rotation at first maintenance visit --- not before 4) Air conditioner did not meet specs (Factory error according to dealer not leakage) 5) Door locking/unlocking system is awkward 6) Better Warrenty (New Model)

Not worth the cost
By athenaspet

2013 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The vehicle was great on a test drive - until it had to be used for everyday living. It is not built for drivers under 5'10" or maybe 5'8". The materials used for the interior are not of luxury vehicle quality.

The excessive noise from the brakes and transmission are horrendous. After being looked at twice by the dealership, I was told that these are characteristics of the vehicle. Stay away!

The exterior lighting is fantastic.

Curb the brake and transmission noise. Use durable materials on the interior of the vehicle. Increase the stop to start time, as the vehicle jumps from a dead stop to initial start.

After almost a year of ownership....
By wak52

2013 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After a year and two road trips, here are my general impressions.

Pros:
Great mileage (28 mpg on the road), comfortable ride, good acceleration, good audio system, good dash/control layout, great ergonomics.

Cons:
Interior finish uninspiring, fit and finish from factory not in the same class as other luxury brands, rear hatch can only be opened with dash control after all the doors have been unlocked.

We've had the car in for two fit and finish repairs.
It took the dealer three tries to a problem with the front bumper cover coming loose from fender (dealer didn't want to replace broken cover).
Then the passenger roof rain gutter molding was loose, causing a horrible vibrating noise.

The technology package is excellent. The NAV system, audio, bluetooth, etc. all work intuitively and flawlessly. While not sporty, the handling is superb. If I want sporty, I won't be buying a SUV to begin with. Mechanically the car is tight and has performed very well. It's a very comfortable car to take on trips. On one leg of our last trip we actually got over 28 mpg, pretty impressive on a vehicle of this size.

The vehicle came from the factory with two problems already mentioned. I'm a little nervous as to what else may have had shoddy installation, that will show up in the future. And we're not impressed with the dealer's service at all. We have the rubber carpet mat protectors that fasten on top of the carpet. But the additional carpet mats that lay on the rubber protectors can't be locked in place and slide all over. The NAV system can be programmed to show the car's true direction of travel on the screen always pointing up, or to show the true direction with north always up. But if you decrease the scale, the system over rides your choice at a certain point and defaults to north up.

BASE RDX IS EXCELLENT
By plmrdx

2013 Acura RDX Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The RDX is worth the $35-40K price compared to other luxury SUVs. The ride and performance of the 2013 model is excellent--see Consumer Reports. However, the Navigation Sys. is not worth the price. Unless you are an audiophile, the Tech Pkg. is not worth $4K. Buy it without, then get a good Garmin GPS of $100+. You will like it better.