Used 2011 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

A nice upgrade from the Pilot
By tornadog

2011 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

The MDX is a perfect marriage of a sturdy, well designed SUV witht e comforts and handling of a car. The interior is very nicely designed, the tech gadgets in the car is a treat to use. The rid eis super comfortable and while the mileage is a hog, it is still better than my 2010 Pilot.

Heated seats, interior and exterior finish, braking, rideability, comfort, NAV system, Handsfree link and bluetooth audio, IPOD integration

Wish the blindspot indicator was standard in the tech package. Actaully they did make it standard in 2012. A little more room in the 3rd seat, increase the gas mileage.

Great choice for nexus of features / function / value
By mmr183

2011 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Delighted with driving performance and comfort in our MDX. Owner profile can help, so share we are 55-plus couple and retired. Key factors for us in vehicle purchase are safety, comfort, cargo space, driving ease and reliability.

Considered Volvo XC90. Lexus Rx & GX, BMW x3 & x5.
Nutshell version is we didn’t think any measured up against MDX for nexus of features / function / value.

Small snafu in our MDX has been the voice recognition system doesn't always translate some female voice commands correctly.

We like the seemingly controversial grille / front end design. Looks sleek to us. Beauty in the eye of the beholder we guess. Love the look of the Bronze / Parchment combo.

a) Drive performance / handling; in particular "hug the road" cornering. b) Cargo room; in particular clear width space. c) Hard drive for downloading CDs & top notch sound system; works great not only for music but for books on tape for road trips. d) Efficient AC and heat. e) Rear view camera.

a) Front seating: Add lumbar adjust to passenger seating as standard feature. b) Second seat: Add slide option and make both it and existing tilt option power. c) Cargo: Make all seats lie flat when in lowered position. (Currently 3rd does but 2nd doesn't.) d) Nav System: Replace existing interface with Garmin which is much more user intuitive. e) Esthetics: Make trim that is currently "faux wood" real wood. f) Storage: Take better advantage of dead spaces to create storage cubbies - as in spaces near cup holders at third row which could have sliding doors added (as in front) to create passenger storage space.

Heated Seats
By janetrich

2011 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2011 MDX in August and simply love the SUV.
I have always owned a Honda and wanted to own the luxury line of Acura.
I love the car but since I drove it out of the dealership I have had problems with the drivers side heated seat (back rest).
It feels like it is always on.
I have taken it back to the dealers and they ran tests on it but insist that it is fine. But my back always sweats.
They will not do anything about it but have told me that other people have brought in their MDX saying the same thing, that the back of the seat feels like it is always heated.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Maybe if enough people complain they will issue a recall.

Best value
By kris2

2011 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Needed a sooner than expected replacement after my 2005 X5 3.0 got totalled. After looking at 2012 X5, 2011 Q7 and 2011 MDX I ended up purchasing the MDX and I am not disappointed.

In terms of performance I did not feel it a lot different than the X5. Torque felt low but there is enough power when you need and the brakes feel good.

Been getting 17 mpg in mixed driving with 60-70% city using premium.

Kids like the third row though the access is difficult like all third row SUVs. Seats are comfortable and provide support. You will get used to the power tailgate and backup camera in no time.

Got the roof rails (should have been standard) so it looks like an SUV and I like the look.

Audio in Tech Package. The connectivity via bluetooth and USB is pretty well done and sound output from both disc and ipod are good. You can actually feel the SH-AWD sending torque to exterior wheel. Handles like my earlier X5 except at parking and slow speed for which the X5 steering felt better. Liked the advance package but at that price point the X5 was looking better. Other than the prestige being a little lower when compared to German luxury brands this is one of the best 7 seat SUVs out there. Provides the best value for money since any similar equipped luxury brand will cost at least $8-10k more with less reliability than an Acura.

The gauges are a little crowded and visibility to them is not that good. Lacks some luxury features like rain sensing wipers, heated steering wheel (which I tend to use a lot living in Chicago) and 4 way lumbar support. Hard Disk cannot store mp3 and will rip only audio CDs. Navigation should be upgraded to use google, was never able to search locations or poi closest to my location. Always ended up searching on my iPhone and entering the address. Not a major issue but the middle seat in second row is inconvenient and the belt comes from the roof instead of the seat. Needs third row Air. In terms of exterior the grill needs some serious redesigning and the side mirrors could be bigger.

Solid Choice, very good vehicle
By pjc123

2011 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned the MDX Tech for 4.5 months and 5,300 miles.
Overall, we are really happy with the vehicle.
It is good looking, fun to drive and perfect for our family of 4 to go camping and on vacations.
The gas mileage has been slightly over 18 combined which is fine by me.
The only suggestions for improvement would be the transmission and stereo.
Granted, we were "spoiled" with an Audi but... the MDX is smooth shifting but sometimes you have to coax it to the proper gear especially when it is loaded up.
The ELS surround sound is just adequate but NOTHING like the Bose in an Audi.
All that said, I know the Acura will be MUCH more reliable than the Audi.
I also own a 2006 TL.

Looks, fun to drive, powerful engine, decent mileage.

Transmission sometimes needs to be coaxed to the appropriate gear. It does shift smoothly though. The stereo has almost no mid range and is just adequate....wish there was an upgrade option.