Used 2008 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Another great Acura
By nemavezee

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Power Tailgate, Sport Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in 04 Pilot which was an extremely great vehicle - but this is sooooo much better. This handles like a sports car, when in sport mode. There is no wind or road noise. No rattles. OK fuel economy, considering it's an suv. SH-AWD is truly amazing combined with Dynamic Ride Control in sport mode. My other car is an 04TL 6MT/nav - no issues, love the car. Looked at Audi Q7 before MDX and I liked it, but MDX felt better during test drive, and handling is better on MDX. Acceleration seems smoother with MDX, and feels more powerful at any speed. Transmission (too bad only 5 speed) is very smooth; This is my 4th Acura so far - and so far very pleased with all of them.

Bluetooth is great. Nav system great, although like the TL touch screen better. Seats are very comfortable. SH-AWD, SPORT MODE DRC; Michelin tires are lovely. Self-leveling headlights; auto on/off lights. Backup camera; power liftgate great; resale value; 7 passenger seating. Reliability.

Bigger rear cargo area opening; thicker steering wheel; touch screen nav, like the TL; thicker side Glass for even better soundproofing; roof rack should be standard; backup sensors should be standard;

Update after 10 months
By oscarkat3

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I still love driving this vehicle but the quality is a bit of a let down. There are a few rattles including a loud one from the passenger seat. The radio settings malfunction sporadically. The A/C makes whistling noises that sound like brakes squealing. The dealer finally acknowledged some of the problems but they never adequately addressed all the problems either. These are minor problems but a disappointment because I had a higher expectation of reliability. I still love all the positives about the MDX. I plan on keeping it for a while but I don't know if I will buy an Acura again?

I still love the comfort and handling balance. The seats and driving position are outstanding. This vehicle is easy and enjoyable to drive. The headlights are fantastic too. I am pleased with my mileage. It was worse when I first had it but I average 19.5 which is quite good for an SUV this size.

The quality needs to be improved. It should not be a battle to get problems addressed.

best suv on the road
By nic

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great ride for the buck, we love car like ride. Great performance inside and out, Acura did a great job building this luxury suv, anyone who likes to drive an suv this one is definitely the pick

SH-AWD, smooth handling all-wheel drive this what makes it fun to drive.

Mute button for the radio, ram air on the hood and keep up the good work acura man.

Better mpg than advertised
By Cindy

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Shortly after buying our MDX, we went a 2,000 mile trip, mostly freeway miles with lots of mountains, averaged 22.9 mpg. That was a relief as I was fearful it might be even worse. The more we drove it, the more we liked it. Great combination of fun, comfort, and utility. Better visibility than originally thought. Never met a hill we couldn't keep accelerating up. I am almost 6'2", my husband is 6'3", we both have plenty of room up front and in the rear outboard seats, but the center second row seat is not for full- sized adults. This is basically a 4 person vehicle. My previous car was a 2006 TL, which sat too low for me, the MDX has a good step out height and is easy to get into and out of.

Size. Dual power seats. Navi system. Power. XM radio. Fit and finish. Info display. Overall package.

1. More travel on the telescoping steering wheel. 2. Passenger arm rest too far forward. 3. Autodownshift, while great in mountains, has to adversely affect city mpg as it feels like an anchor has been thrown out when foot is taken off throttle. 4. Better mileage 5. Different dash plastic.

Brake Rotor Problems
By Brake Problems

2008 Acura MDX 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My MDX is mostly a pleasant SUV to drive and own. However, I was surprised when I had problems with the brake rotors at a low mileage and Acura told me that I "brake too hard" and I would "burn" the rotors because of my driving style. Well, I am a rather slow driver and 70 % of my driving is highway driving. I have had 4 Toyota SUVs prior to this one and never had a brake issue. Could there be a quality issue with the rotors on the 2008 MDX? Compared with my previous Toyotas I feel the MDX seats too hard and uncomfortable on longer rides.

The seating is too hard and the brakes/rotors are an issue they need to improve.