Used 2005 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 199 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Great Car
By Brocktune

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car new in March 05 and have loved every minute of it. My only regret was not talking the wife into getting the Navi. Test drove all the competitors, but the MDX blew them all away. I love the car-like handling. The bluetooth can have trouble picking up my voice when the air or heater is on. It has led to some frustrating exchange (me--"dial 911" MDX--"now calling 753." Also, there is a sloshing sound from the gas tank. I took it back to the dealier shortly after purchase, but there was nothing they could do about it. Eventually, I just got used to it, and I no longer notice it.

Bluetooth, smooth ride, car-like handling. Blue ambient light is an elegent touch. Lots of storage room.

Removable (or fold-down) second row seats. The sound system is great but the display on the radio is very small.

Solid overall, room for improvement
By txguy

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Got it with the nav and RES options. The RES is a must if you have kids. Ride is still smooth after 2 years and 35K miles. Averaged 24.8 MPG at steady 70 mph on last freeway trip with wife, 2 kids and cargo. Still love the MDX and we've had zero issues with the car. I use the Bluetooth often to talk hands-free and the Bose stereo sounds great. Only things I should have gotten up front were a cargo net for the back and running boards to help boost the little kids (under 4) and great-grandma.

Nav and RES are worth the extra, although I don't use the voice command much except when using Bluetooth. Great dependability. Holds value well. I decided to buy new when I saw the asking prices of 2 year old MDXs.

$40K+ vehicle should have HID lights, tri-zone climate control (see 2007). Nav user interface not very intuitive but it is functional, e.g. showing pizza places 750 miles away when doing search. People would think I had my headlight brights on when they weren't. Third row seats best for kids.

A great all-purpose SUV
By JCPHX

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Extremely comfortable, quiet ride with excellent performance. I purchased with all the bells and whistles, including DVD with rear speaker control - perfect for long trips with kids. Also, with two rows of seats that fold down, easily converts to a good SUV for hauling stuff. Bluetooth for the mobile phone is now a must-have. The voice-activated nav system seemed cool at first, but it was the one thing that didn't always perform perfectly. Still, this is my first Acura and the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Overall ride and performance, DVD, Bluetooth, fold down 2nd and 3rd seats.

Keep working on voice-activated system, and make nav menus less complicated.

Most Outstanding Vehicle!!
By Carole Matter

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned a lot of nice vehicles, but the Acura MDX is my favorite vehicle I've ever had! It does everything well. I have the navigation system on mine, which I personally would never want to be without again. Acura has the best one out there, in my opinion. I test drove a lot of cars and SUVs before I bought this one, and nothing compared. I have had 7 people in my car for a sightseeing trip, and it was wonderful. I also have had the challenge and fun of driving my MDX through blizzard conditions and on snow-packed, icy steep hills in Pittsburgh, PA, and I went down a very very steep hill in AWD and never even slid. The vehicle in front of me had gone down the hill sideways!

While I love everything about my MDX, I guess my favorite features would be the navigation system, its terrific handling, the roominess, and its versatility. The back two rows of seats fold down with no effort. Has lots of cargo room! It's very comfortable and has everything on it you could want!

I can't think of any way this vehicle needs to be improved. It's virtually the perfect vehicle.

Great SUV - Excellent value
By krc

2005 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 18 months, I can't find anything not to like about my MDX. This is my first Acura and second SUV. I am a finicky consumer and researched all luxury models prior to buying - it paid off! For the money, this is by far the best SUV in its class. Gas mileage was better than anticipated. And, it has the highest safety/crash test ratings. Quality, comfort, and value...I love it!

Exterior styling, navigation system, XM radio, interior space, smooth ride, confident handling

Telephone charger should work without running the engine; that's all!