Used 2005 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 199 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Rear main seal - transmission
By Van Sean

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Barely out of warranty and the rear main seal (rear crankshaft seal) failed. The sad part is I just paid off this sucker. Transmission also started to develop problems. Replacing the rear main seal can cost upward $2000 (mostly labor) but this won't stop the other transmission related problems. I finally gave up and traded it in for a new car. This was a loss-loss situation for me. Acura quality is falling apart. Sadly, I am not the only ones being affected by this...avoid at all cost!

Cargo room.

All over...

I thought Acura/Honda's were relable?
By JP

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really liked the features of the vehicle. Drove it one week and started hearing a "rumbling" noise around 30-40 mph. Seemed like the transmission was having problems shifting. Dealer had it for two weeks, had to rebuild the transmission and replace the torque converter. Luckily I will have 3 years/36,000 mile warranty on the transmission. Besides that, nothing else to complain about so far. I thought Acura/Hondas were supposed to be very reliable?

Interior is roomy, comfortable for a tall person.

Fix the transmission problem, better fuel economy.

My Wife Loves this Car
By Big Fan

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car. Comfortable seats, quiet, smooth. My wife's friends always ask her to drive because they all love this car. Very reliable - transmission replaced under warranty, no other problems.

Plenty of power and the all wheel drive make it a sporty and sure footed. Parks easily. Dealership experience - They treat you great and take a lot of pride is keeping your vehicle in top shape.

I wish my MDX had the same stereo as my TL. Other than that this car is near perfect as is. Actually, I have driven newer MDXs and prefer the 2005 model to the newer "improved" models.

A Little Overrated
By VW

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I find the MDX to be more hefty and top heavy in driving dynamics than I expected. It's pretty thirsty at 15 MPG city. Engine seems rock solid and smooth. Ride suspension is tuned nicely -- not too firm, not too mushy. Should have HID and lane change signal without having to clicking on the signal arm. Stereo is pretty good quality. XM is nice. Navi and Handsfree link are a little awkward to use.

Suspension and engine. XM radio. Rearview camera.

Gas mileage. HID & soft lane change signal. Navi & Handsfree link. Lengthen arm rest & bottom seat length. Both are short, making it difficult to establish comfortable sitting position. Steering controls need backlight for evening visibility. Can't display outside temp & gas mileage at same time

My favorite vehicle ever owned!!!
By Michael Miers

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX. Nothing wrong with it, and have had no problems. This is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. Bluetooth works great!

Bluetooth, and everything