Used 2005 Acura MDX Base Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

I Love It!!
By Brandi

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my MDX as much today as the day I bought it. It drives like a dream and is very roomy. Just last weekend we took 6 adults over 3 hours drive away with luggage and everyone had plenty of room. Now if only they would come out with a hybrid with the new models...

Navigation system is great! From NJ to Maine with only the system to guide us - it is wonderful! A traffic accident ahead? Just plot a new way home! It is always accurate and fun!!

Next model needs to have an optional hybrid. A premium gas vehicle with these gas prices is expensive.

Love it
By Nice Ride

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a Toyota Camry XLS to the MDX since we have a toddler and another on the way. Drives like a car, very smooth. Comes standard with sunroof, heated seats, third row. Has alot to offer.

Standard heated seats

Front exterior design could use some updating. Running boards should be standard.

Not your typical Honda product at all
By berto

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Exterior is much sportier than the older body style with the new head/tail lights and dual outlet exhaust but still looks somewhat minivan-ish. Interior build quality is outstanding, not extravagant and everything is logically placed. Very minimal body roll and understeer for what it is. Stereo sounds great especially for a base model. Sound deadening is better than any Honda/Acura I've ever owned. Seats are comfortable--I had to drive 12 hours stopping only for gas and felt fine. Motor is exceptionally torquey for a Honda, but you pay for it at the pump. Acts like an Audi sometimes though--pulsing from rear when turning from a stop, and transmission shifting is somewhat sluggish.

Honda took a huge step in refinement without sacrificing simplicity and reliability. Gauges look amazing. 6- footers fit fine in the 2nd row seats. Gobs of cargo space. Unless you absolutely must have the towing capacity or the true 4WD with low gear, nothing compares for the price.

Gas mileage! Atrocious for a Honda (~15mpg) unless you're on the highway (~22mpg), both of which are lower than EPA estimates, and it runs off premium. Also, Sirius radio is not an available substitue for XM, so you can't get it without trashing up the interior with an aftermarket radio.

I Love My MDX
By Suzanne

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven a minivan for years and this is my first SUV. We went with the MDX after test driving BMW,Lexus,Volvo. I was not impressed until I drove my Acura! Main reason I chose it..Cargo room, and 3rd row seat is big enough for me or my 17 y/o son! Best of all were the safety rateings. My MDX gets alomost 19mi/per gallon! Don't think that's bad for a 6cyl. Heck I only got 14-16 with my minivan! Wonderful ride in town or longer trips. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for room, safety and looks!

Safety features, Cargo room, 3rd seat room and seat warmers!

Dual climate control settings in the front. Daytime running lights.

All-around best performer
By dhk

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After doing a thorough research, we settled on MDX and have not been disappointed. This car does not do any one thing better than the competitors; Lexus has a slightly comfier interior; VW may have better off-road capability. But the entire package is better than the competition. Room for seven; Acura workmanship; lots and lots of power; and fair pricing. We love than Acura won't nickel and dime you for features such as leather seating and moonroof. Everything comes standard. The only negative - and it comes with the territory - is the gas mileage, though it is better than most SUVs.

Lots of horsepower; nimble handling; XM satellite radio; interior space (for both passengers and cargo); and conservative styling.

Better gas mileage; little bit more luxury inside.