Used 2005 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 200 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Lots of mechanical issues
By MHirt1

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the original owner of my 2005 MDX, and currently have about 130,000 miles on the car. We have had many mechanical issues with this car, including:

- failed torque converter at about 55,000 miles
- failed transmission cooler at about 85,000 miles which caused intermingling of transmission and radiator fluids - not good
- failed electrical harness unit - had to wait to get one from Germany!
- numerous suspension issues
- rust appearing on front of hood and in all four wheel wells starting at around 100,000 miles

Even my 15-year old Saab has had far fewer, and less expensive, mechanical issues. I am not sure whether I will buy another MDX.

someone will sue Acura
By unhappykris

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

second MDX, 7th Honda vehicle, last one had tranny issues, this one had the tranny noise slightly.
2012 I get a letter saying transmission software upgrade, so I took it in.
Especially in case I had tranny issues in future they would say that I had not done this upgrade they suggested.
The upgrade made the 5th gear come on at 45 MPH instead of the original 40 MPH.
This removed the noise, but, the gas consumption is terrible now as 90% of my city driving is below 45 MPH!
The should fix bad designs, not make us pay for it.
Also, I cannot prove this yet, but another "recall software upgrade" has disabled my Vehicle Stability Assist".
This is NOT how a luxury make should do things!

ride, navigation and entertainment system.

Completely re-do your transmission design! Stop making the software adjust shifting to mask the noise.

Think b4 you buy your next Acura
By seahawks_fan

2005 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Think b4 you buy your next Acura. My 05 MDX slammed and
locked its brakes while doing 40mph and
almost killed my family. It happened three times in less than a month.
Dealership won't fix the modulator that is most likely the cause because it would
cost them $1600. The seat belt locked on my 9 month old pregnant wife's belly
and cause my other kids head to whip lash. They have had my car for over a week now and waiting on Corporate to take responsibility. It's sad that saving $1600 is more important than the lives of 6 people. Come on Acura/Honda.
Update: After having my $50,000 luxury car for a week, the decided they will only replace a $100 part called a brake switch. But they refused to replace the other problem, $1600 abs modulator. Their diagnostic computer told them both were failing parts. The service manager told me they are not wear and tear parts and should not have gone bad.
So they sent me off with my family hoping they guessed right. So now the car sits on my drive way. I refuse to put my family in danger. Had I been on the freeway or crossing our states snowy mountains, my family might not be here right now. I wouldn't be here to share this with others.
I told the claim manage than my family has bought 3 accords, two civics, Acura RL and the MDX the past 20 years, while spending over $100,000.
Yet, he said that wasn't enough of loyalty.

Interior is roomy and comfortable.

Built quality. This cars have a history of transmission problems. Acura customer services are quick to send you on your way without help.

TRANSMISSION
By brannguyen

2005 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this from a used Honda dealership-in Marietta, GA, Aug. 2011. Was really excited to own my Acura SUV w/ 3rd row! Honda had a good reputation w/ reliability except for their transmission issue! I didn't realized it until it was too late! I had it checked out by Ed Voyles Acura-Chamblee. They said it was fine & they even did the transmission chip software recall. They found nothing wrong w/ it! They even took it upon themselves to do the FULL 105k service w/ timing belt w/ out getting my approval or trying to figure out what was wrong w/ the transmission. I was really upset! I even rode w/ them to see why it would vibrate at 50-60mph. Of course it wouldn't make that noise.

They need to fix this problem!!! I spent over $1300 worth of repairs thinking it would last a long time!!! Thanks again HONDA/ACURA! You really wasted my HARD EARN MONEY!!! Will not buy another Honda!!! Had to trade my 2005 MDX in for a new 2012 KIA Sorento!!! It's way better!!! It hasn't disappoint me yet!!!

I love this car
By desertmom

I have had my MDX for over 5 years it now has
126,000 miles. I have not had any problems and it runs great. I definitely would buy another.

navigation system, 3rd row seats, steering and handling, excellent in the snow

more and larger cupholders, better air conditioning vents for 2nd and 3rd row seats