Used 2004 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Couldn't ask for more.
By minnie

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good acceleration, extremely stable handling, slightly less poorer milage than expected, excellent fit and finish. This car has been extremely reliable and has amazing safety statistics.

Navigation system and overall performance.

slightly higher tow ratings.

I Love My MDX
By lvernacc

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my MDX a year ago after researching and test driving all comparable SUV's. I chose the MDX for the roominess, feel and gas mileage. By far this vehicle handles better than any other in it's class. There is plenty of leg room in all three rows and comes standard with front and side airbags. I would recommend this car to everyone. It comes in handy for traveling with children and teenagers.

There are so many features to choose from!! I love the back up camera and the mirror angle when parallel parking and backing up. The sound system is great!

The only improvement would be to improve the quality of the back up camera. The picture on my screen sometimes appears dark and hard to see. I never knew how much I needed it till I had a loaner MDX without the camer!

Perfect, but no Hybrid
By TJP

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We're had our Premium model for almost a year, and we've thoroughly enjoyed it to date. No problems, as you'd expect from a Honda product, excellent comfort and room, and decent power. Fuel economy never has been above 19 mpg, however, despite highway only jaunts. Admittedly, these have been at high speeds (75-80 mph), at which drag would be substantial for a vehicle this size. If we wanted maximum fuel economy, we'd have gotten a Jetta diesel with a trailer for our stuff. For our needs, the MDX has been perfect

Power, room, comfort, styling, utility

Cramped space behind rear seats; not built for fuel economy (diesel or hybrid option would be great if priced less than $2K more than current powertrain)

Pretty Good - but NOT perfect !
By Baltimore Owner

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in Nov 2004 as leftover - got excellent deal (below invoice). Vehicle has had several problems since then: 1. Tire(s): Touring was supposed to have Michelin ONE of the 4 tires was a GOODYEAR !! (dealer fixed) 2. Despite VERY VERY gentle driving, developed shimmy at 7k miles and had brake rotors cut (dealer fixed) 3. Interior speaker cover fell off spontaneously (dealer fixed) 4. Headliner rattles VERY loudly on left side when going over large bumps or RR tracks - Dealer could NOT fix ..

1. Great handling and engine 2. VTM-4 is GREAT system for snow, and unbeatable on icy roads 3. BOSE stereo sounds very good 4. Mileage is pretty good - we get 20- 24 on highway if keep speed under 75 5 Side-curtain airbags (hopefully will never need) 6. Sunroof

1. Quality is not so great - my 4Runner was much better built, had NONE of problems above 2. Dead pedal is NOT in correct spot, is too FLAT 3. Roof rack is a joke - can't even carry a couple kayaks. Make a Thule or Yakima an option and drop the non- standard junk that's up there now ...

I FEEL LIKE IM DRIVING A BUS
By GOLEXUS

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I should have done more homework before buying this vehicle. It is very reliable, because it is built by Honda, otherwise it is horrible. The seats are hard and get VERY uncomfortable on trips. It is very big, not smooth, and needs a better turing radius. It also gets horrible gas mileage, about 16 mpg. I have driven my sisters RX330 and found it is very comforatable and feels like you are driving on a cloud.Plus it has a great turning radius, and the service is great! It also gets 25mpg. Dont buy the MDX, it you want performance and dependable luxury, go to Lexus. I cant wait for my lease to end, to purchase the RX330

The steering wheel...

I feel like I am driving a bus. This car needs to be taking back to the drawingboard and made more comfortable and convenient. Go Lexus, stay away from this vehicle.