Used 2004 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Nice Vehicle
By tfmeisen

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I decided that I wanted a luxury SUV. I drove several different types and I believe that the Acura MDX is one of the best vehicles for your money on the market today. It has the size, and space of an SUV, but rides like a luxury car. The interior is plush and the features are great and easy to use. I had every option except for the navigation and DVD player. It had plenty of power and still got good gas mileage, on a long trip I could get over 22 mpg which is incredible considering the size. The only problems I had: the cruise control broke, and I somehow broke the front motor mount and it was expensive. The other downside is the vehicle has to be serviced by Acura for most things.

Great stereo, steering wheel controls, comfortable seats, rear climate control, 3rd road seat, all the controls are easily accessible and easy to use. Good engine and gas mileage. Smooth ride.

None, this car is almost perfect.

Don't buy
By Steve Jones

2004 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. In the last 5 months, I have spent over a $1000 on the transmission (torque converter and another switch) and another $700 on the power steering (a loud whine). Both of these problems have numerous complaints against them, but Acura won't do anything since it's not under warranty. There are service bulletins out for these issues, but Acura won't do anything until forced to by a recall.

Take responsibility for your faulty parts and design.

Reliable and Comfortable
By Jon R

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 19K mi in 10/2005. I now have 56K mi. The car is extremely reliable and very comfortable. It handles nicely and it is no surprise that you still see so many late MDX's still on the road and still in great shape. For all of the features that you get on this car, it really is a great value. The cars are not cheap, but you get a lot of standard options in these cars that would drive the price up on other comparable models from other brands. Also, the car doesn't seem very big, but my wife and I are amazed at how much room you have inside. They did a great job using the space. It is a great family car and would consider getting a new one.

Room, comfort, reliability, handling.

I have the Navi system and DVD quickly gets out of date where I live. It is EXTREMELY expensive to replace the DVD. If that is my biggest complaint though, then the car is a great car.

Honda is Plastically Challanged!
By Ken

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Pretty nice overall, aside from the front air vent falling off in my hand and the rear speaker covers can be easily pried off without tools. The whole interior is bland and it drives like the Queen Mary II.

Space, snow ability, reliability, engine past 4800

Better plastics, easier to use nav system softer seats, more power, more ground clearance

Great Car in ALMOST every way
By Richard S7

2004 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This was my second Acura MDX that has gone over 100,000 miles. I absolutely love this vehicle. It has been virtually trouble free. No matter where I go and rent cars or SUVs, it always feels great getting back to my MDX. The only complaint is that it gets only 17 MPG overall. That used to be okay -- but now with gas over $4.00 a gallon, it gets expensive. BUT, since it's so darn reliable, I am not putting any money into it for repair so it works out.

* Sound System - Best stock system I have ever heard. * Acceleration - 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. Pretty fast for an SUV * Incredibly reliable. Over 100,000 miles with only routine maintenance and normal wear items such as brakes and tires. * Incredibly comfortable * Great COLD air Conditioner

Other than better gas mileage, I can't think of how else to improve this.