Used 2003 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 294 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Consistent failures
By techvet

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this MDX certified pre owned last year with 30K miles on it and have had nothing but problems with it. I have been to the dealer 6 times in the last 12 months with various engine lights/codes and what I call the Christmas tree - all error lights go off on the dashboard. Sometimes is fixed with loosening the gas cap but most the time has to go to the shop. The dealer will not honor the pre owned warranty so now I am paying for repairs every few months. I bought for brand and this was not a good idea.

None really - it is an ok SUV but not spectacular.

All purpose family vehicle
By Happy Family Man

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my MDX used with 64000 miles after I got my wife and father-in-law to leave the Lexus RX300. The ride is very sporty and comfortable. The roominess paid off immediately on a family trip. The navigation screen is big and simple to use, with voice activation, and the rear entertainment system kept the kids quiet and entertained on the whole trip from Texas to South Carolina. The vehicle ran perfect with no problems, just regular oil changes and services. I feel very comfortable putting my wife and kids in this vehicle anytime. The bland exterior should not distract you from the safety and comfort and style you get for the same luxury as Lexus without the 15000 price increase.

The navigation system and the rear entertainment system, and most of all the back-up camera, and the controls on the steering wheel so you never have to take your hands off the wheel.

Should not have to always take premium fuel, and maybe a better design for the next model after the 2007 model.

80,000 Miles and Still a Great SUV
By Keith

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new in July 2003 for a young family of 5. Road trips, in town, on the beach, in the mountains, deep snow, icy roads, high elevations. It has performed great through all of it. Drove it on NC's beaches on the outer banks and went right past Toyotas stuck in the sand. We now live at 8600' elev. in the Rockies and drive up and down 3000' of elevation change daily, often on unplowed roads. This car is perfectly balanced and always stays in control. We have had no mechanical problems. Only issue has been the seat heater, which quit working a year ago (and very expensive to repair). If I had to do it over again, I definitely would!

All-wheel drive system and handling is the best on-road, foul-weather system you could hope for. Also love the rain-sensing windshield wipers.

Wish I had a heated windshield and daytime running lights.

Just an excellent vehicle!!!!
By Ron

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle, never had any issues with normal maintenance in 65000 miles.

Nav, and the side mirrors that fold down when you back up.

They have already made it. A power tailgate.

The problems are starting
By GitaS

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my MDX brand new 4 years ago. Has the most amazing and easy to use navigation system. Reliable drive. Has every feature you could need. Have had some problems though. From the start, I have had problems with starting my car (I live in sunny So. Cal). Battery has been changed twice but still doesn't always fire on the first or even second try. Now as I near 100,000 miles, things are beginning to fall apart. All the features on my steering wheel don't work (including airbag, horn, volume control, cruise cntrl). Passenger seat warmer is kaput. Vent control plastic knob fell off. SVA (or something) sensor failed. The repairs are now getting expensive. Was hoping to drive this for another 100K.

Navig system rocks - so user friendly, best I have encountered. I love the size - not too big (but third row for little people only).

Improve the gas mileage. Improve electrical - too many things are beginning to fail.