Used 2003 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 294 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Good vehicle, but little problems add up
By Jon

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 30K miles - all was fine for 2.5 years. Now, with only 65K miles we have had a lot of minor issues...All A/C vents have fallen off; seat molding on drivers side fell off, rain sensor doesn't work, DVD player stopped working. Like I said, relatively minor, but very frustrating. For a supposedly reliable, well built vehicle I'd expect more. We only drive this about 10K miles per year and don't abuse it. Overall, a good vehicle, reliable and roomy enough for 2 kids in car seats.

smooth ride and comfortable.

improve interior components (vents in particular)

Great SUV at first
By acura 2003 mdx

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in March of 2003 new. Since I bought the vehicle, I had nagging problems and at 82,000 miles I am starting to get a little worried. I've had to replace the starter, ac compressor, vent knobs, cd player, drivers seat heater, hood struts, rear blower. I expected more out of an Acura.

Nice ride and plenty of room for people and gear. Decent gas mileage for an SUV.

Steering wheel controls.

Transmission problems
By Ron

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I gave a poor reliability rating due to the fact that my transmission went out with only 73,000 mile on it. I can't believe that a SUV of this caliber would have this issue. Warranty ran out at 60,000 miles. Repair cost is $3,167.00. This is a regular problem with 2001 ,2002 and 2003 transmissions.

Redesign transmission or recall.

Love this car!
By muymajo99

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car used in 2006 and have had an excellent experience. I had had an Acura Legend earlier and had absolutely no problems. I need to say that this car has been a dream. I am looking forward to keeping it at least two more years. Currently I have 84,000 miles and still love it.

Reliability, handling and nav. system. A very enjoyable to drive vehicle.

Day running lights. I know that newer models have automatically closing rear doors. The news models look like something out of "Star Wars" but I still will get one.

Great car, poor fuel efficiency but ...
By Ivan

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All in all, a great car. I am happy with my purchase. There's a 3rd row of seats which neatly folds down invisibly which is why I bought it. There are a lot of automatic extras like auto headlights and wipers and rear-view mirrors that dip when reversing that make owning this car a real joy. The MDX is also deceptively spacious and sits tall however handles well. Performance is not an issue either but fuel economy kind of is. At an average 13 MPG in the city, you'd think you were driving a GM. Aside from fuel efficiency (or lack thereof), this is a great family vehicle that looks great even sans-family. The 3rd row is invisible when not in use and it's a Honda so you know it's reliable.

3rd row seating. Passenger-side mirror dip "in reverse". Automatic headlights. Automatic wipers. Fog lights.

For me, the big issue is the fuel efficiency. Another potential issue is the 3rd row seating. It's designed for kids only as you'd have to literally climb in to get to it. Better access is much needed.