Used 2003 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 294 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Keeps on going
By rquigley1

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was the 2nd owner. Bought in 4 years ago with 100k on the odometer. Super reliable. Changed timing belt at 140k and follow the service recommendations. I do all my own work from fluids to plugs etc. Read some posts about a tranny shift problem and noticed a little hesitation around 170k. I did a triple flush of the AT fluid and care is running just fine. I expect to get it to 200k and then buy the current body style acura. Only real problem is a hum in the stereo and loud whine in the rear dvd system after about an hour of operation. For the money- a super car.

Great Ride Except for Transmission
By justman

I love my MDX, but now have to to trade it in and don't want to or have $5,000 for a new one.
These SUVs are known to have transmission problems, wish I would have known that before I spent so much on it.
But, I will say, I bought mines brand new and have had it for 8 years with now major issues.
Just normally wear and tear.
Would love to get another one, but Acura still has issues with the tranny.
So, I think I'm going to go green and get a KIA Sorento.
Better gas mileage and it doesn't cost so much.

I just love the MDX overall.

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission! Acura really needs to fix this. You spend so much money for it and then it has issues like this that will cost you an arm and leg to fix. Come on Acura!!!

Would buy it again if not for transmission issues
By texan100

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got CPO MDX after lot of research and consumerReports guide which rated MDX as the BEST suv.

I did drive for 5 years and was very happy with my car.

I never had major issues and never paid any money from my pocket as it was all under warranty.
They did find problem with engine mounts, battery and some tubes that needed cleaning which was all taken care by Acura warranty.
I did regular maintenance. Dealer did charge me 600 or so for 60k mile service.
Last year I did find that car was not going smooth. It was driving rough sometimes and smooth other times.
I also read about transmission issues when it hits 100k.
Since mine hit 92k I sold it.

Loved the space, comfort and ride. It looked stylish and had lot of trunk space! Third row was OK for kids but I never allowed them to sit there as its in crumple zone and i am not sure if its safe if there is a side swipe.

Acura must fix it's transmission issues and make Navigation, rear back up camera Standard in all models. It is strange that when they market their car as premium brand, many mdx's are sold without navigation or rear entertainment systems.

Great car!
By gardner3

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car overall is great! It's roomy, comfortable, smooth to drive, has power and looks good.

The sound system is nice, heated seats work well, seats fold, and I generally had no problems in long drives.

I love how the car handles and how quiet it is. I had 130,000 miles on the car when I made a bad trade... I wish I had this one back!

I only wish the car had better gas mileage. And I should have put in premium gas the entire time. My fault!

Wish it would last forever!
By Mom Driver

Love my MDX and have had no major problems. My brake pads have been replaced several times, common for heavy SUVs. Vent knob spontaneously broke when I touched it a few months ago--sounds like this happens often with MDXs. Plastic trim on driver's seat has come off--also common. So far drive train and transmission work fine, but at 65K, I wonder how long that will last. Don't like style of new MDX as much! Too flashy! Want to keep this one as long as possible.

Much better ride than the Land Cruiser I had before. Carlike, responsive. GREAT on a long car trip. Kids love it. Navi is solid, but I need the new map DVD which is ~ $100!

Despise the AC controls--no knob to adjust air flow. Must go into touch screen. SUPERannoying. This has been fixed on newer models. Voice-controlled commands=never used gimmick. DVD also not used much now that kids are older.