Used 2002 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Three transmissions!
By Ken

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife really liked the Acura's size and features. When we first got it, it certainly was smooth and quiet; much more refined than the 1996 Grand Cherokee we had before. It was a good size and she loved the touchscreen navigation. It was a little disappointing that the MDX didn't have some luxury features that the six-year old Jeep did, like automatic headlights and day/night outside mirrors. Overall she and I liked the car. The trouble started at 37000 miles when the first transmission went out. It was replaced. It broke again and was replaced at 87000 miles and we discovered this is a well-known and chronic problem with Acura's transmissions. I cannot recommend early decade MDX's.

The navigation system, the rear space. Engine was smooth and quiet.

A transmission that doesn't break.

Buyer Beware
By Tom

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Tranny went at 66,000, and I am having problems again at 140,000! If not for this major issue I love it. Gas mileage OK

3 years and still going strong
By drhibert

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my '02 MDX in '06 with 64,000 miles on it. I have not had any problems with it in the last 3 years. I keep up with regular maintenance - that's it. I can regularly get 20-22mpg around town, and up to 26 highway. Pretty good for an SUV. I'm up to 120,000 miles and it still drives and looks great. There's a weird 'pop' noise when going back into drive after being in reverse, but it's been there since I bought it and has never caused any problems. To my understanding, it is common to most '02 MDXs.

Front seat comfort, 6-disc sound system (sounds great, and I'm a musician), reliability, hwy passing power, gas mileage.

My windows go down pretty slowly - wish they were a little faster. It'd be nice if the 2nd row seats folded all the way to flat. An aux input for an ipod (but it is an '02...). Road noise could be less, but the stereo on at a low volume masks it.

Mixed Bag
By Aaron

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After looking at a ton of Suvs I finally decided to go with a 2002(55k) MDX. Everything was great with the car until strange noises started to occur. Mainly between 35-40mph. It sounded like running over rumble strips. The problems just got worse from there. Rough shifting, clunking, etc. I went and tried to find an answer for this problem and discovered that transmission problems in these vehicles are pretty common. I love this car but the transmission is a HUGE issue for me. I am very disappointed with this vehicle and I will not be buying another Acura product.

Leather, Sound System, Third Row Seating, Nav

Fix the stinking transmission!

02 MDX
By bill_tiffany_jr

2002 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The MDX has been great although the 02 is well known for transmission failure. Mine gave out at 60K. There are hundreds and hundreds of similar stories, even at much lower mileage levels. You will here a "burr"ing sound between 40 - 50 MPH while traveling in 5th gear. Talk to your dealer and to Acura customer service in order to get a new transmission heavily discounted or best case, for free, even when you are out of warranty.