Used 2002 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 190 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

I feel betrayed
By no more acuras

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Let me start off by saying I loved my Acuras. Had an RL that was the best i owned. It failed on me and traded for the MDX. Loved the MDX, best in class, dream car. Then the probs w the tranny started. Thank God I bought it certified. 100 mi before expiration they replaced it free, but right at 12 mos later it's crapping again. I feel like my spouse cheated on me. For something I love to cause me this much pain, I'll never buy another Acura. To fix it will cost more than I owe it. They may have gotten better, but they lost me for good this time. The RL was bad enough when I replaced the window motor on 3 windows and at 105k the engine died. Can you tell I'm bitter? Sorry, i don't want to be.

3rd row, for sure. comfortable ride, power, mem seats, styling, turn radius, AWD, stereo quality

recall and replace every transmission in the MDX and TL for 02,03. Other than that I love this truck

Transmissions
By Tom

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Stay away from this vehicle. Buyer beware. I had my tranny replaced at the dealer after numerous issues, in fact I had to take it to a different dealer who said yes after 109KM it needs a new tranny. Now I need another 139 KM it died. I called Acura? Honda Canada only to be told too bad it is past warranty (which it is). I repeatedly told them that there have been major issues with this model and specific problem to which the reply was. No there hasn't! Please Google 2002 acura mdx transmission issues before you make a major mistake.

I have better cars.
By Barry

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We currently have 133,000 miles. We have replaced far too many things to say this is a used car best buy. The tranny went at 99k, motor mounts at 110k, wheel bearings at 99k, shocks and struts at 115k, rear heater stopped working at 80k, it's starting to rust in the wheel wells and the list goes on. The motor mounts and tranny are a known issue on these cars. RECALL IT! Dealer said to me "Hey, you got your use out of them". I didn't realize parts expired..

Ride (once everything is fixed) and interior comfort.

Tranny and motor mount recall.

BEWARE: Bad Transmissions
By jj0103

2002 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nice vehicle but not withstanding of the reputation of Honda's reliability. Transmissions have known issue under NHTSA recall 04V176000 of gear failure that could result in transmission lockup. This happened to me at 113k miles after Acura said they fixed the issue. While driving 35 mph the front end of the vehicle seized and skidded 5-7 feet. Luckily there wasn't a car behind me. They tried to charge $7k to fix the transmission. It appears there are 100's of similar cases reported online and Acura is using plausible deniability to avoid litigation issues. I logged a complaint w/ NHTSA & sold vehicle due to safety concerns.

All around versatile vehicle.

Transmission, transmission, transmission!

The wonder car
By Elizabeth

2002 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family was in an accident on the freeway, where we lost control of the car due to slick road surface and were hit 2 times by other cars as we spun toward the fast lane. When we took stock of each one of us in the car, we were all okay. One of the airbags went off and the car was totaled. The next day, we found another Acura MDX and are very glad to drive such a safe and reliable car. We are certain many other cars would not have protected us in that situation.

It turns on a dime.

Better gas mileage, or regular gas.