Used 2001 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Pretty much perfect
By Paul

2001 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I could be more constructive, but it is hard to think of anything wrong with this vehicle. We were faced with the decision of buying a new, midscale SUV, or a used, upscale one like an MDX. Boy, are we glad we bought the MDX. If we didn't know, we'd think it was brand new. Do the homework, and you'll find that the MDX offers the most interior room (including a 3rd row seat) in a package that is still midsized. If you want the ability to haul kids all around town in a safe, AWD SUV, but don't want a Yukon or Expedition, then this is the rig for you. There is no comparison to the RX 300, which is tiny compared this this (on the inside).

Interior space, engine strength, 3rd row seat when needed. Lots of interior room without buying a massive vehicle.

Honestly, I can't think of one. And I'm usually pretty critical.

Acura Quality Questionable
By FC

2001 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used 55000 and it filled up with water in first rainstorm - bad caulking on firewall seals. Broken front spring replaced. Oil jet kit installed. Tach surges 50-100 rpm every 2-3 seconds - dealer cannot diagnose after hundreds of $'s - now thinks it is torque converter. EGR valve replaced on warranty. Plastic vent controls snapped off. Rear wiper droops. Brakes cost > $600 to fix. Road noise excessive. Stereo system is weak. Fuel mileage is poor, especially in city.

Good handling for SUV. Good driver seating position. Trip computer.

Poor climate control design. Need access to 3rd row from both sides. Steering wheel needs more vertical adjustment. Beef up stereo system. Reduce road noise.

Amazing car
By dave

2001 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 92,000 miles; it now has 120000 and I have had no problems with it. One of the best, most reliable, fun to drive cars on the road.

Trip computer, memory seats, heated seats and sunroof.

None.

Sell by 90k
By Nate

2001 Acura MDX Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the MDX over the BMW X5 only because of the third row seating. We loved the car untill 90k miles. We have replaced two front struts $700, two motor mounts $600, SRS electronic part $520, spark plugs - Acura wanted hundreds to do them so I did the work. Timing belt and 110k service was over $1000. I am tired of the warning lights comming on every time I turn around. Only dealer can turn them off. My miles are 90% highway on the Acura.

Nav. sys. is nice. Interior feel and comfort is good, I am 6'2".

Needs less road noise and much better reliability.

my first real car
By kcooper

2001 Acura MDX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I say this is my first - as it really is the first good car I've gotten my hands on. I have also owned the Jeep Cherokee FWD and the Acura is way beyond in options, handling and quality.

I love the two-way power seat (especially for those of us under 5'4); adjustable radio stations when out of town; on-steering wheel radio controls; and heated seats.

Better gas mileage; dent-resident doors; intermittent rear wiper; heated steering wheel; trunk access via remote; better sound control on the radio.