Used 2001 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Not a good experience
By Rich

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2000 thinking I was paying premium price for a premium car. In 2004 while still under warranty the car began making a vibrating noise. This was very intermittent and the local dealer was unable to replicate the problem. The problem has gradually gotten worse. With 77,000 miles on the car I finally discovered the transmission needed replacing. Acura ¨customer service¨ informed me I would only have to pay $1180 of the $3800 repairs. They explained that I didn't always get the car serviced at Acura. In the next sentence they said they weren't responsible for the local dealer not being able to diagnose the problem.

Good wet road and snow traction. Nice amenities. Handles nicely around corners.

Fix the well documented transmission problems with this and other Acura cars. Improve customer service.

I was a big fan until 80,000 miles
By amc

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car from another dealership and was instantly thrilled with this car. However, I am appalled that after hitting 78000 miles, the car started mild rpm surging and am also being told I need a torque converter. I was impressed with another write up that I had the same experience, lots of $ to diagnose the problem. Interior plastic buttons for lights and vents, broke apart. Same experience as others. I have never replaced a transmission on a car in my entire life. This is so discouraging.

Looks good.

Better transmissions

First 100k OK
By craigo

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had this MDX for 7 years. Great car. The tranny has been slipping under load (hill) for a while and the dealer can not find the problem. Going in for a timing belt this week and I hope they find the tranny issue this time. Love to buy another but the $$$ is crazy.

The look that changed the whole SUV line.

None.

Will buy one all over again
By Michele

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2001 MDX is nearly 7 years old and has 180,000 miles. Looks like new. I don't consider the 100,000 mile tune up at $1500 a big tag item to keep this baby on the road. Did get a new tranny during the recall a few years back and that is okay. If I am ever in a place to need a new car, I will go for a used 2006 MDX. But at the rate mine is going, I should be able to get another 100K out of her easy.

Roominess - I chose the MDX over the Lexus due to the interior size.

Hurrah for the MDX
By Car Lover

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Now this car is one story. The build quality is extraordinary. We got the thing used, four years strong and we still haven't needed to get it repaired. The tires get replaced soon though. The comfort is okay, the leather interior is nice, but the third row seat in the back is not made for adults! The reliability is good, too. It is there for us every time. Fuel economy is not too bad. 20 mpg average. Better than we all expected. Just be careful of that trip computer. Very fragile. Plus, for some odd reason, the radio's LCD starts blanking out in the summer. It always returns after a firm hold on it. Nice car.

Nice trip computer, leather standard, sound system is nice, great attention to detail, audio controls are steering wheel mounted.

More durable trip computer, vents are messed up in the back. Once you get the recalls out of the way, you're all set!