Used 2001 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Love it!
By Beachkid

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car the first month it was available in 2001. I now have over 167K miles on it and it's going strong. I too received a new transmission during the recall so I should have several good years left. I love the versatility of the vehicle. From sheets of plywood to trees! I won't buy a new one again but will consider a used one or possibly a CR-V. My husband loves his CR-V and I don't mind driving it but my MDX has just a bit more luxury about it -- if you're willing to pay the extra $$. Might even consider a Toyota. But I've been driving either Honda's or Acura's since 1984..so it might be hard to change now. The MDX handles very much like a car, and I've really enjoyed owning it.

Handling, ease of use, versatility, color, gas millage, passenger capacity (7), style.

Excellent Car, will only buy an MDX
By SS

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A friend had a new 2001 MDX and loved it so I bought a pre-owned 2001 in 2005 with 44K miles. I loved this car! I had almost 72K miles and someone t-boned us going about 40 mph. The car was amazing how it protected us. The airbags went off but other than that, no damage in the interior. Unfortunately our MDX was totaled. We are replacing it with another MDX. We are not even considering anything else. In the 4 years I had the car, we have had absolutely no service calls or problems. Love the smooth ride and security it brings while driving.

Smooth ride, comfortable interior, reliability.

multi-cd player as standard equipment would be nice, my model didn't have it.

195K and still going strong
By alabamafamily

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best car I've ever owned. I'll roll 200,000 miles sometime this summer, yet this car has NEVER let me down. The only time it's ever been in the shop was for air conditioning problems. Even then it was a minor fix. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone considering it!

Based on 90,000 miles, and 6 years of
By domer1976

2001 Acura MDX SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

ownership, I can honestly say I'd buy the car all over again, in a heartbeat. Pluses are comfort, still class-leading navigation system, interior room, and build quality. Mine has always been dealer-serviced, which hasn't been particularly cheap. Transmission went kaput at 90,000 miles, and I neither tow, carry loads nor abuse the transmission in any way. Would have been more disappointing, but Honda Motors - which apparently knows they have problems with this transmission, paid for half the cost of replacement. Abundant wind and road noise and unimpressive gas mileage (about 18 mpg combined)are about the only drawbacks. And you'd better have a wide garage door to fit it in.

User-friendly navigation system, Bose stereo, all wheel drive, drives smaller than its size, good build quality, Acura dealer network.

Lots of wind and road noise, expensive to service properly, watch out for cars with high mileage unless transmission has already been replaced, marginal gas mileage, premium fuel required. Essentially unusable 3rd row seats.

Jeep upgrade
By Rick

2001 Acura MDX SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in '02 with 11k on it. Grey market but was able to have maintained through local dealership. Previously had 3 Cherokees over 8 years. Best upgrade ever. More room, comfort, visibility than the jeep. I found the seats especially comfortable since I had a bad back. Good handling in wet weather or snow, but would not want to take it offroad. Has carried my family for 155K and convinced me that my next car will be the same one (not the newer smaller version). No reliability issues, predictable maintenance.

Heated and adjustable seats, Bose system, interior space, smooth ride, easy to manage split seats. Safety and handling

More horses