Used 2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S

3.2 Type-S 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic - (93 reviews )

Smooth, responsive, fun and reliable!
By Greg Z. W .

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Wonderful car: drives like an M3, but is more quiet, feels luxurious and is absolutely reliable. The best GPS navigation system I've seen. I've put almost 70 000 miles on it and have not had a single problem. Just pour gas, change oil and have fun! The transmission have always behaved flawlessly and they did the scheduled fix at 40,000 miles. The only quibble I would have about this great car is the poor paintwork. Acura should really work on this.

Smooth ride, tight suspension and steering, great navigation system. Reliability!

Poor paint work. The stock Michelin tires are nothing special. The Yokohama Avid V4S are so much better. Definitely the best tires for this car.

Good value but...
By BHarvey

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

...it's a Honda. Great engine and fortunately, I've escaped the transmission woes (for now). Handling is OK, but steering feedback is typical Honda "dead". Little communication with the road. Turning radius is much too wide for a car of this type. OEM Michelins were terrible. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Expensive, but a fantastic improvement. Great car for those who want a sporty car w/above avg power, but don't want to sacrifice comfort. Handling and feedback not even close to a Bimmer 330, but then again, it was $6 grand cheaper.

Great engine, looks, drivability and durability

Improve road feedback and tighten the turning radius. Lengthen shift points between 1-2 gears. Put better tires on it. The cupholders are a joke. Buy the Bimmer if you have the extra $6 grand.

1 year later...still pleased
By Ryan

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with about 42K miles on it. Couldn't be happier with the vehicle for the price I paid. Runs great, good speed, love the heated seats, navigation system rules. Being the first experience with a foreign car, I am very pleased. We hope to upgrade to a MDX in a few years. For the money and options included, this is a steal compared to a Lexus.

Heated seats, Navigation system (will never buy another w/o), digital climate control, traction control system.

Looks like they repositioned the navigation controls on the new Acuras (would have been a suggested improvement). Sunroof could have been slightly bigger.

I would rather go back to my BMW328CI
By Type-S

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission problems, check engine light constantly comes on, and loud sunroof, and slight rattles. I wish I had kept my old BMW328CI which had over 140k miles and never had any of these problems that my Acura CL with only 60,000 miles have. I have heard/read that the better Acura CLs were the 1997 to 1999. My co-worker has a 1997 CL 3.0 and never had any problems with it and has over 110,000 miles on it. You get a far better car for the money you pay for a BMW 3 series.

Navigation and interior styling. Fun to drive when you are not having problems.

Better Transmission and overall build quality. Faulty check engine light problems.

Bone Stock 15.6 with junk in the trunk
By walt by default

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My brother told me not to test drive
it. My wife said "get what you want,
the boys have their cars, I have mine,
you don't have to get a four door
family sedan." What a wonderful
wife. This is a great car. It is
very very fast and very very
comfortable. I am 6'1" tall and weigh
290# and this car is one of the few
that accomodates my height and girth
with the standard leather driver's
seat. My oldest son's Tiburon is
slightly tricked out and he turns 15.9
at Capital Raceway in Crofton. I
turned a 15.6 after learning how to
master the racing tree lights. I had
a full sized spare, two
17" rims and a set of clubs in the
trunk when I did it. Not bad.

She's FAST. The Bose Sound system allows me to fire up my gospel cd's and ignore the big eighteen wheelers all around me. GPS is too cool.

She's pretty well outfitted - 8 cylinders maybe!!! 260 bhp at the wheels - not the flywheel. A new model coupe for the Year 2005 - maybe a ragtop!?!?! 20 inch rims Yeah I like it a lot! Thanks Acura.