Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

2001 CL-S Review
By txengineer

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car from a co-worker who bought it new. It had 41,000 miles when I purchased it three short years ago. The transmission had been replaced under warranty by the original owner, but not the control computer. After having the computer replaced at 85,000 miles, the second transmission started to have issues. Back to the dealer for another transmission and matched computer. They even threw a set of motor mounts in for free. Now at 135K the tranny is starting to shift ruff. We'll see. Otherwise, the car runs great with a bad squeak from the back package tray (solved with a piece of electrical tape wedged between the glass and the 3rd brake light tray.

VTEC is awesome. The sound of this engine is rivaled only by a high end German or Italian sports car. The acoustic engineers really got this one right. Seats are very supportive. Mileage is great on the highway (29-30 mpg). Tire wear is good at 50K per set.

Better transmission. Drop the semi- automatic. It is too slow to react to be any fun. The passenger side mirror tilting down when backing up is cool for the first 50 times and then is annying, so it gets turned off. I'd keep the car longer, but need something that will carry 5.

Almost Perfect
By Jake

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 3.2 CL. I would have liked the power of the type-S but prefer the understated base model. Small things have been irritating like no switch for the foglamps which look like 40 watt lightbulbs next to the awesome HID headlamps. The door mounted arm rests have started to separate slowly. The transmission was replaced because I mentioned it wasn't shifting as smoothly as it used to. As a precaution and probably to drum up some business, the service department went ahead and replaced it.

The styling, performance, and standard features. Five years old and its still a fresh desing. Much more creative than Acura's recent offerings. Interior is great.

Switch for the foglamps, counter on the CD changer, stability control on the base model would have been nice too.

Class and performance at a fair price
By ChicagoJay

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I got into this car used, with 45,000 miles after owning a custom-ordered '99 Grand Prix GTX (GTP w/ SLP upgrades). I have to say, 3 years later, the Acura has definitely held its value better than my Grand Prix did. It also performed comparably, but is much quieter. The interior is what really sets the Acura apart. Good leather, wood grain plastic, hooks to keep the foot mats in place (the Grand Prix required after-market mats because the factory ones were useless). To top it all off, my Acura was assembled in Toledo, OH whereas my Grand Prix was put together in Canada. The Acura is a bit heavier than the Grand Prix, so it doesn't corner as well, and it's not as fast off the start.

Defintely the nav system! I don't think I'll ever own a car without one from now on! The VTEC rocks too.

The CL is discontinued, so this doesn't really apply. But the gadgets in my '01 Acura were a good 5 years behind the gadgets my '99 Grand Prix had. This may be intentional, as Honda makes sure everything is well tested before it ships. But I was disappointed with the layout of the audio controls.

4 1/2 years and still going
By Wilbur

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several Hondas as well as a previous Acura Integra, so I had no reservations about purchasing my CL Type S. I had the transmission issue that we've all had, but Acura backed it up without issue. I have since only had a seat belt issue, again under warranty, and have only gone through 1 set of tires and a battery. The reliability I expect from an Acura. My fiancee has a Mercedes C230 coupe which she has driven 10K miles and we're already considering selling it and keeping the CL until we drive it into the ground. It was a great buy 4 1/2 years ago and is still a great buy as a pre-owned car.

Engine, power options

Well the car isn't made anymore, but I'm not a big fan of the manumatic transmission... if you really want to change your own gears, get the 6 speed manual. Wheels do scratch and bend a little to easily.

Best buy we ever made in a used car
By Myrtle Young

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle used from a private party using Edmunds guide. It was in impeccable shape and has held it's value. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone although there has been one major expense to date, a power inverter for the headlights. It handles so well and has been a joy to own.

Feel of the seats and how it holds the raod.