Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

I'm Still Driving It
By id03557

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 103,000 miles it seems like it will go another 100,000 no problem. It gets 30 mpg hwy and has only one problem; the tranny which Acura replaced under warranty at 63,000. It is quick, handles well and I have only put one set of tires on it at 65,000. My biggest complaint is that it picks up a lot of road noise... RRRRRRR. Otherwise it handles well, is faster than 98% of cars out there, and just keeps on keeping on. Heck it still has the original battery. I wish I could buy another one, but Acura, in its wisdom (?) doesn't offer a sporty coupe anymore.

Motorized seat function. Polished aluminum rims that don't rust. Everyone still thinks it is new

Quiet the road noise. Fix the rims that bulge out further than the tire sidewalls which means they pick up scrapes if you aren't careful.

Failed Transmission at 138,000 Miles
By adamsbauer

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The car looks great and I really like the way it runs but I expect more than 138,000 miles from an Acura transmission. I wish Acura would have done more to help me but I am stuck with a car that has a lot of miles and will have a new transmission soon and I am out several thousand dollars. If I buy from the same company I will buy an Accord. No need to pay extra if they don't take care of you and their cars don't last.

When it runs it runs smooth and looks good. I was really happy with the car until the transmission went out at 138,000 miles

Fix bad transmissions. Large blind spot.

Now you see me...
By Adam Hill

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Ok honestly, I am a 22 year old male and I give this car hell in a handbasket. I live out in the country so the roads can feel my 260+ hp. I love this car. It sounds like a T-rex lives under my hood. From the line, automatic mode is probably faster than the manumatic but hey, nobody likes that anyway on any car. If you wanna shift all the time get a five speed its that simple. Car is really light for a 3.2 engine and is getting rarer by the month. No problems yet with mine and like I said I drive it like Mr. Hyde.

Dual exhaust, leather, type S black burlwood, the 3.2 vtec, pretty decent on gas (20, 29), spacious back seat.

The Bose system is a bit lacking. My dad's stock Bose system in his 90 something Mercedes is much much better. Also, sunroof could be a little bigger, but that's being real picky.

Would Keep It Forever
By gf

2001 Acura CL 3.2 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I keep hoping Acura will make another coupe like this. It still looks great and handles well at 91,000 miles. I'm hoping it lasts 91,000 more. Its second transmission slips just a little on a quick shift, and there's rust on the bottom of the passenger- side door. The brakes have had a major overhaul. Our other car is a 2003 CTS, which I like just as well although the features differ.

Overall appearance, reliability, engine, handling, heated seats. Motorized front seats make access to rear seats easier.

Seatbelt is hard to find and frequently gets caught in the door. Paint chips easily. Chrome on wheel nut rusted early on.

Mid-Life Crisis Car
By J.B.

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this red, 2001 Acura CL 3.2, 2 door coupe, Type S. I had a 1997 Camry for 10 years, which still ran excellently, but the suspension was degrading, and other things were starting to go wrong with it. So, I had heard the Acura was a "fancy" Honda, and took a look at this used one with only 47,000 miles. It was great, and so "zippy"! As a middle aged woman, who has always been sensible, I decided to go for it. What fun! I am really enjoying this car. I do have to watch out for the paint, as it seems to flaw easily. Also, I have heard the trannys are not the greatest, but so far so good with this one. And features!? It practically comes in and cleans the house!

Side passenger mirror that tilts down to show the curb when you put it in reverse. Lumbar support seating. Sound system. Large trunk. Very zippy! Excellent handling. Seat warmers. Locking back seat arm rest/storage unit. Pop up trunk with remote switch. Impressive air conditioning system.

The Milan red paint does flaw and scratch easily. Seat belt (shoulder harness) is hard to pull forward from where its located. Radio station button on steering wheel only changes stations to those you have program in. It will not "search" from that location.