Used 2001 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Bad Transmission
By kaumudi

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I had acura integra before drove till it reached 250k and then donated it never had any problems. decided to try another acura and guess what tranny out in less than 4 months of driving.
Stay away from 3.2TL models altogether.
My cousins bought the same car, engine head blew on the highway.

Bose radio was excellent but on cold ohio day it would not play the CDs

Think twice about this one....
By ar1906

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my cl type-s used 4 years ago with just a little over 100k miles on it. It has been better than I expected but this car has a serious transmission issue. I've had to replace 2, the first was well over $2k and the second was fixed under warranty and now at 215,000 miles I'm looking at getting a third!!! If your thinking about buying one used beware that your gonna have to replace the transmission at some point. Other than that issue this car has been great, it's fun to drive with very comfortable seats for long trips. Verdict: I'm selling it and getting a 07 TL, why? U can't beat honda and acura value!!!'m selling and getting a 07 TL as mileage is pretty decent too. To sum it up,

Ok, there's a lot I love about this car!!! Seat comfort, driving position (have to own a honda/acura to know) bose audio, heated seats, 2 person memory seats, auto mirror at night, auto reverse tilt mirror, navi system, auto moving seats for rear, audio controls on steering wheel, xenon headlights, and powerful engine. at night, reverse tilt m

This car is discontinued of course but the only thing I didn't like about it was controlling the a/c on the touchscreen navi and of course the horrible transmission!!!

Nice ride, except for the tranny
By rs118

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used 5 years ago at 23k in immaculate condition. Driven hard and now at 110k. Only routine maintenance required. EXCEPT FOR the transmission that has been replaced 3 times at the dealer, all under warranty with loaner cars provided. Original slipped at 36k, 2nd was noisy at 91k, 3rd was quiet but slipped at 98k, the 4th is a little noisy but good. The ride is rough on cracked pavement, but the handling is pretty good (it's slightly lowered but on original wheels). It's garaged and the paint / interior are still in great condition. Nice stereo but lacks bass; an amp and subwoofer cured that. Tires and break pads have lasted well. MPG is marginal, premium required.

Engine (type-S) is still like new and has decent power (of course newer cars have raised the bar). Overall fun to drive. Automatic front seats when entering the back seat. Interior (black) is really nice, and the navigation system was top-notch in it's day, still good enough.

I honestly haven't had a single quirk or problem at all, except for the tranny. I plan to keep the car and replace the tranny once if necessary. A rebuild is about $2000 - $2300 at a high quality tranny shop, and will likely be stronger than the rebuilt tranny you get from the "factory".

Amazing
By Sebastian

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have 254,681 miles on my CL and it runs like a dream! I bought it used in 2004 and it had just around 100,000 miles on it then. I'm not sure what the guy before me did to it in respect to repairs and such but I have not had one problem with the engine since I have had it. I replaced a bearing once and have had some trouble with the electrical... my volume turns up when I turn it down sometimes haha, but it's still an amazing car. The stereo is sick! I love the car.

Engine. Stereo.

Turning radius.

Bad Transmissions
By hate bad trannys

2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This has been one of the best cars I've ever driven. Quiet, fast, great stereo. I would go out and buy another one except for one fact. I am on my 3rd transmission and Acura will not stand by their product. They replaced one at 65,000, another at 80,000, and now at 136,000 they want to charge me $5,000 (the first 2 were warrantied) for a new one. I still own the car but bought another brand because of this experience.

Fast, quiet, fun, great stereo, simple interior design.

Transmission, transmission, transmission. Stand by your product.