Used 1999 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Transmission nightmares!
By roadtripgirl

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought a 1999 CL 3.0 new from the dealership. Only the dealership serviced my car. Four transmissions at 67K miles. Dealership and Corporate Acura would not do anything on behalf of customer loyalty to make this right except an occasional free oil change. Do not, do not, do not buy an Acura!

I have all options except a spoiler - love the car itself, but would never buy another Acura.

Re-engineer the transmission. After all, Acuras are upscale Hondas and you would expect them to be reliable (not reliably breaking down). This is one very dissatisfied customer!

1999 Acura CL
By roadtripgirl

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I purchased a new CL 3.0 and only had the Acura dealership work on the car, including every single maintenance appointment. At 67K miles, I had my fourth transmission installed. I am very upset, as neither the dealership nor corporate Acura will do anything to make this right. I've purchased two consecutive extended warranties just to keep from going in the poor house. I strongly urge people to steer clear from the Acuras!

The transmission is poorly designed. They should have made changes and accommodations to customers who were diligent in caring for their cars who have had the transmissions replaced over and over.

Issues & comments
By KyLarry

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Surprisingly wide turning radius. Fuel injectors replaced @ 70,000. Driver's side window mechanism failure @ 60,000. Very nice ride on trips. Overall a very good car.

Red exterior color with spoiler looks best!

Best Value on the Road
By Roger

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I was unemployed when I had to buy a car. For $17K I bought a car with 19K on it, which has leather and heated seats, a spoiler, good acceleration, a moonroof, fantastic reliability, and holds its value. No other car has this combination for that kind of price. To think that I could have bought a new boring Corolla for the same price! It's so reliable that I did waste the extra $800 I paid for an extended warranty. I put in 64K miles on it. Only problem was an alternator that had to be replaced after it suddenly died on me. Not one other thing went bad.

Heated seats - great for Chicago. Does great in the snow. Allows to keep the same speed on snow as I watch the BMW's and other assorted rear wheel drive vehicle on the side of the road! Price - Wow, best value for what you get. No wonder Acura stopped making it - It was too good! Fun driving it

Road noise (from the wind and the road), Better sound system. I spent $2K on a new system and now I feel I'm driving a luxury car. Turning radius is terrible.

Brilliance in Black
By Blacura

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I have owned multiple Hondas, and traded in a 1994 Accord EX to get the Acura. I have also owned a smattering of vehicles, all purchased used. This one is, by far, the superior car. Basic maintenance only, and still commands attention around town. The interior never fails to please anyone it surrounds.

I like driving fast and aggressively, particularly on the twisties found up in the mountains. This car has the unique ability to attack an apex, as well as coddle the kidneys on freeway expansion joints and uneven pavement. Not too soft, not too firm.

Not much. I suppose it could use a strut tower brace to keep it level during hard cornering. Where's the 3.0 mated to the 5-speed, Acura?