Used 1999 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

great mpg
By 1972wilson

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

Parked the full size truck that gets 13 mpg getting 27-32 mpg with the cl. Solid to drive as well as fun. Couldn't be happier with the purchase

On wheel controls, interior design, heat and ac controls large trunk

heated mirrors

Bulletproof 99 CL 3.0
By azavocat

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought this car new and its been bulletproof ever since. Nothing but routine maintenance. The ride, handling and craftsmanship are excellent. Similar to my NSX, when that VTEC opens up it delivers a surprising amount of power.

Mine has low miles and looks great with the dealer installed wing, so I get compliments all the time.

Acura: bring back the two door luxury coupe!

This is Simply a Wonderful Automobile
By Ken Kreps

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

Bought new, it has gone from being our first car to our second car and has proven to be an outstanding buy. It's comfortable to drive, looks great, has many great features, gets wonderful mileage (29-30 on the highway on regular). True, for its age it is is a low mileage car (just a few hundred over 60,000). No maintenance other than routine. In nine years we have replaced the tires, battery, alternator, brakes, and recently, the timing belt and water pump. All of these are routine for a nine year old automobile. We will drive this car easily another 3 or 4 years, as there is no way we could purchase nearly as fine a car for its current fair market value. This was a great buy for us.

Body style (it doesn't look like all the other cars on the road), luxury features, leather heated seats (power on driver's side), wonderful sound from its tuned exhaust system, moon roof, gas mileage (on regular), quickness, and a real hoot to drive.

Memory driver's seat would have been nice, but you can't have everything, I guess. Sound system (radio, CD) is good, but not great. Why they discontinued this model, I'll never know, as it is a real winner.

A Great Value for a Used Car
By joe gonzo

1999 Acura CL 2.3 2dr Coupe

We love the interior design of this car. It handles great on the open road and the Vtech has plenty of punch when you need it. This is our second Acura and the reason is their reliability. My Integra is ready to turn the odometer again and it still runs like a top. I do my own maintenence and these cars are easy to work on. The only problem with both cars is the radiator going bad but they are easy and cheap to replace. It doesn't cost 300 bucks to change the plugs either. By the way, the CL was designed and built in Ohio for those who think it's an import and women really dig it.

Interior and exterior design, gas mileage and smooth ride on the open road.

The idle needs to be smoother.

Nice car
By ScorpioEddie84

1999 Acura CL 3.0 2dr Coupe

I bought this car around 4/07 from a private owner with 100k on it. They were the original owners and kept the car up well. I like this car a lot and wish Acura would bring it back (currently they have no 2-door cars available). But anyway, so far this car has treated me pretty well and is fun to drive. Only strange thing that has happened is the brake light in the dash... it will not go off sometimes when I start up the car even though the emergency brake is comletely off. The light usually goes out once it has been driven a few minutes. Also the cruise- control light sometimes does not light up at night. I assume it is very minor electrical stuff to blame for both.

I love the exterior design of this car. I also like the interior. I like how the instrument cluster uses a fancy-looking font for the letters and numbers, kinda italicized (not available on the '97 models). Car is good on gas too. Driver seat is extremely comfortable!

The following is what I think they should've improved on: a stronger engine, brighter interior nighttime lights, redesigned cupholder, A/C controls closer to driver w/larger buttons and a digital odom/tripmeter.