Used 1997 Acura CL Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Acura CL

View reviews for a specific CL model:

Very nice car
By sut

1997 Acura CL 2.2 2dr Coupe

This car is superb. I loved it. Indeed old but works very good and looks new. Engine is just great. I think mileage is getting less, but everything is good.

I love the all the luxury facility. Stereo sound is superb. Leather interior good.

More repairs than expected
By JBruce

1997 Acura CL 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

We bought this CL with 62,000 miles on it and it was 7 years old. It is premium coupe with spoiler, leather seats, sunroof and climate control with CD player. At 80,000 miles, the clutch went out. While in the shop, they found the rear main seal leaking, the plastic radiator leaking, the front CV joints shot and several other smaller problems. Cost about $1,800 to fix. At 105,000 miles, the starter went out and they found the ring gear on the flywheel was shot and loose. Another $400. The security system quit working. We have had 4 other Honda cars, and none of them needed this kind of expensive repairs, even when they were over 100,000 miles. Don' think we recommend a used CL.

Styling, engine acceleration and fuel mileage, climate control, leather seats.

CL has been discountinued. Acura's new models are getting great reviews and are recommended, but an older CL may not be that reliable

Awesome car
By Lucien

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

I have had my car for 5 years. Looks as good as new cars. 1997 design is better than the newer CL's on the market. With regular maintenance and upkeep, had no problems with this car. Best purchase I could have made. Will stick with Acura for a while. They make GREAT cars.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By KZone

1997 Acura CL 2.2 Premium 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since new, and after 8 years and 267,000+ miles my CL still looks and drives great. Other than normal maintenance and wear and tear items, no major repairs ever made- I still have the original clutch on my 5 speed manual transmission and get 34 mpg highway, and average 30+ mpg overall.

Great mileage, low maintenance, very reliable car.

Weak rear defrost and driver's side window motor. Steering wheel leather could be better. I would have gotten the 3.0 had it come with a stick.

my car
By KINO

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium 2dr Coupe

Love my 3.0 CL. I wish it was a manual tranny though. Fuel consumption is much more efficient than my last car. Always a soft smooth ride, handling is great, the look is slick. Just love this car and now that I'm going on 150k miles, it stills performs like it was new.

The dark leather seats along with the wood look around the dash gives it a rich look after I put some 2001 protection on it.

Needs a manual tranny along with the 3.0 engine, a better a/c control switch meaning one could control the fan speed 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.