Edmunds.com Offers Labor Day Car-Shopping and Road-Tripping Advice
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — September 2, 2010 — Labor Day weekend is a popular time for some people to shop for a car and for others to take the final "road trip" of the summer.
Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, offers the following advice for car-shoppers seeking bargains:
- Consider that in today's topsy-turvy marketplace, many used vehicles are actually more expensive than their new counterparts. See http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/new-vs-used-car-buying.html for a complete list of new cars that are cheaper than used cars.
- The vehicles sold for the lowest purchase price may not be the least expensive vehicles to own and maintain. See http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/lowest-cost-to-own.html for the vehicles with the lowest ownership costs.
- Certain brands garner a premium, but there are plenty of "dark horse" cars worthy of consideration at a lower price. See Edmunds.com's list at http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-best-dark-horse-cars-of-2010.html.
Edmunds.com offers the following advice for those headed out for a Labor Day weekend road trip:
- Double-check that your tires — including your spare — are properly inflated. Underinflated tires can cut fuel mileage by as much as 4 percent and pose a serious safety risk.
- Unless you are driving in mountainous terrain, use your cruise control to save gasoline.
- The best prices for gasoline are typically found in midsize cities, where competition drives prices lower than rural gas stations.
Additional road trip advice can be found at http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/on-the-road-on-a-budget.html.
About Edmunds.com, Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/about/)
Edmunds.com Inc. publishes four Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers, enthusiasts and insiders. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its mobile site, accessible from any smartphone at www.edmunds.com, makes car pricing and other research tools available for car shoppers at dealerships and otherwise on the go. InsideLine.com is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. Its mobile site, accessible from any smartphone at www.insideline.com, features the wireless Web's highest quality car photos and videos. CarSpace is the most established automotive social networking Web site. AutoObserver.com provides insightful automotive industry commentary and analysis. Edmunds.com Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit. Follow Edmunds.com on Twitter@edmunds and fan Edmunds.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/edmunds.