FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Car Sales Surging in Last Week of December, According to Edmunds.com
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — (December 31, 2009) — Edmunds.com, the premier resource for automotive information, has noticed a tremendous boost in web activity in the past week.
"We could potentially reach a December SAAR of 11.7 million units given the current site traffic trend," noted Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jessica Caldwell. "Our Web site activity is through the roof, which makes sense as there are so many bargain-hunters scrambling to get year-end deals and cash in on the sales tax deduction opportunity that expires on December 31st."
Past history suggests that the type of Edmunds.com visitor activity tracked for this study typically has a strong correlation to actual sales.
Site activity is up across the board; however, some brands that are experiencing better than average interest in the past four days compared with the first three weeks of December. Here are some examples:
- BMW — Increase of nearly 70 percent; may be due to heavily publicized "BMW Joy Sales Event."
- Chevrolet — Increase of nearly 85 percent; may be due to "Red Tag" event that includes "Holiday Cash."
- Ford — Increase of nearly 100 percent; may be due to "Ford Year-End Sales Event."
- Honda — Increase of nearly 100 percent; may be due to increased advertising of "Happy Honda Days."
- Pontiac — Over ten times as much activity; may be due to media hype about close-out deals.
- Saturn — Nearly ten times as much activity; may be due to media hype about close-out deals.
About Edmunds Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/about/)
Edmunds Inc. publishes four Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers, enthusiasts and insiders. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive consumer information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its most popular feature, the Edmunds.com True Market Value®, is relied upon by millions of people seeking current transaction prices for new and used vehicles. Edmunds.com was named "Best Car Research Site" by Forbes ASAP, has been selected by consumers as the "Most Useful Web Site" according to every J.D. Power and Associates New Autoshopper.com Study(SM), was ranked first in the Survey of Car-Shopping Web Sites by The Wall Street Journal and was rated "#1" in Keynote's study of third-party automotive Web sites. Inside Line launched in 2005 and is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. CarSpace launched in 2006 and is an automotive social networking Web site and home to the oldest and most established automotive community. AutoObserver.com launched in 2007 and provides insightful automotive industry commentary and analysis. Edmunds Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit.