Magic Blue R-Design for the Road
By akbrant on
2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
I traded my 2011 XC70 for this 2011 XC90 in March 2011 for a road trip from Alaska to Texas on to California and back to Alaska. I put 13,000 miles on this baby in 30 days. I have never had a vehicle cradle me on a long rip like this one. I drove many 600-800 mile days and had not one ache or pain at the end of the day. The OEM Perrelli tires sucked, and I put Continental AWD Contacts on and it is luxury personified. The NAV is clunky, but I got used to it as the days went on. I have to leave the NAV on or the backup camera would never get used as it takes too long to rise up. It is sad I gave up newer technology in the XC70, but ergonomically the XC90 is much better for a tall guys.
Favorite Features
I do like the infotainment features. I leave my iPod in the glove box and the iPhone connects very nicely, and both work very easily through the steering wheel controls. Great cargo space. Love the tinted rear windows, the XC70 didn't have those. The bold blue watch dial gauges are really sharp. I like the Magic Blue paint as well, it goes different shades of blue depending on the lighting. From dark Navy Blue to Purple Blue. I am 6'4" and leg and head room and ingress/egress is a snap. Split hatch in back is great for shopping.
Suggested Improvements
New dash design with NAV built into it and not pop up. Get the tech up to the XC70 level with smart keys and such. This is the first vehicle with a key into a keyhole in four cars or three years for me. I think the exterior design is very rugged and expected, just don't XC60 this thing into a swoopy angular thing that a guy would never get into.