Used 2011 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Just right SUV for family
By philo4

2011 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We had a minivan for a decade, so it's time to change to something different. Looked for a 7 seats SUV and XC90 was our choice. I write this review after 6 months of driving. Its designe is old but still looks good. The engine is just adequate for 4700lbs vehicle, but not refined. The gas mileage is bad and its idling is rough. Volvo needs to improve its engine badly. The ride is ok for SUV but the seats are very comfy. I feel very secure with the XC90. It's not a fancy nor fast SUV but more like driving solid built vehicle.

Favorite Features

seats, two extra seats on the back, and secure feeling

Suggested Improvements

engine, gas mileage.

Magic Blue R-Design for the Road
By akbrant

2011 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my 2011 XC70 for this 2011 XC90 in March 2011 for a road trip from Alaska to Texas on to California and back to Alaska. I put 13,000 miles on this baby in 30 days. I have never had a vehicle cradle me on a long rip like this one. I drove many 600-800 mile days and had not one ache or pain at the end of the day. The OEM Perrelli tires sucked, and I put Continental AWD Contacts on and it is luxury personified. The NAV is clunky, but I got used to it as the days went on. I have to leave the NAV on or the backup camera would never get used as it takes too long to rise up. It is sad I gave up newer technology in the XC70, but ergonomically the XC90 is much better for a tall guys.

Favorite Features

I do like the infotainment features. I leave my iPod in the glove box and the iPhone connects very nicely, and both work very easily through the steering wheel controls. Great cargo space. Love the tinted rear windows, the XC70 didn't have those. The bold blue watch dial gauges are really sharp. I like the Magic Blue paint as well, it goes different shades of blue depending on the lighting. From dark Navy Blue to Purple Blue. I am 6'4" and leg and head room and ingress/egress is a snap. Split hatch in back is great for shopping.

Suggested Improvements

New dash design with NAV built into it and not pop up. Get the tech up to the XC70 level with smart keys and such. This is the first vehicle with a key into a keyhole in four cars or three years for me. I think the exterior design is very rugged and expected, just don't XC60 this thing into a swoopy angular thing that a guy would never get into.

Beige leatherseats
By leatherseats2

2011 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Reporting XC90 interior leather seats. I am very satisfied with the performance of this vehicle. I am surprised about quality of interior seats. I drive the XC90 every day back/forth to the train station; 10 miles p/day. Leather seats are beige and middle section of leather seats look extremely worn and veined, wearing business attire. Leather in the middle section of the seats looks smoother compared to surrounding areas of seats and scares easily. This flaw will impact resale value. Had to replace the frame of the passenger seat once because it cracked with my weight of 145 pounds. Used to own a XC70 for five years and its beige leather seats looked like new.

Favorite Features

Rear parking sensors. An absolute must on the design of the vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Change the middle section of the leatherseats to the same leather surrounding the seats or go with the same leather as you did with the XC70s 7 years ago.

Very Happy So Far
By copsdoll

2011 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2011 XC90 in July 2010. I had a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor that was totaled and I wanted something even safer. (Endeavor held up well) I have been very pleased with the comfort, the added accessories and the overall drive of the XC90. When I initially read the reviews before purchasing it, I saw many complaints over the gas mileage. I have not found any difference between the gas mileage of my Endeavor and the XC90. I am happy with the gas mileage. The comfortable (heated) seats, the sophisticated look and other added features I didn't have in my Endeavor, make me very happy.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, comfortable seating, alarm (to make you aware someone or something is behind you) second row air conditioning, stopping ability, "wet" feature on wet or slick roads, auto-dimming rearview mirror.

Suggested Improvements

I have the third row seat, but it really isn't usable, even for small children. Either do away with it or make it more usable. Make the dashlights better lit. Provide a cargo net and or a pull out cover to "hide" the cargo area and any contents

Needs a model refresh...
By jdoria

2011 Volvo XC90 SUV 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought one of these solely based on its price when compared to the competitors. With the included 5 years of service, it cant be beat. This one came with every option, BLIS, Xenon, DVD's, Navigation, etc. The Navigation is something I would skip if I had to do this again. I have other cars with easier to use systems. I serves our needs at a "just-good-enough" rating. Its the only car I own that still has a "key". (no proximity token with push button start)

Favorite Features

BLIS Bluetooth Exterior styling is still decent, doesnt look like a dinosaur yet.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a technology and interior design refresh desperately. Add a Homelink Moderize the navigation/back up camera system Add 1 touch memory seats