Over 40k miles
By 04silverado on
2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
I purchased my 3.2 AWD with 22k miles when it was two years old. I have since put about 45k miles on it. What repairs have I done? Only one thing that I can think of besides brakes and tires. An emissions pump. I consider one repair outside of maintenance in almost 70k miles acceptable. Because of it's weight if you drive aggressively expect it to eat brakes and tires and gas mileage to be in the teens. The original Pirellis had to be replaced shortly after I bought it because they were worn out. I put Sumitomos on it and have yet to replace them with over 40k miles. I do a pretty even mix of city/highway driving. I anticipate getting another year (15/20k miles) out of them.
Favorite Features
Solid build. Almost everyone who has ridden in it comments about how you can tell by simply closing the door how well it is built. I have yet to find a Japanese or American car with built quality anywhere near the Volvo. Google some of the crash stories Volvo owners have shared. One of the safest cars you can put your children in. Layout shows obvious signs of quality engineering. DVD entertainment system. My son prefers my XC90 over my wife's S40 because there is "tv" to watch. We could drive 1000 miles without a peep out of him if we keeps the DVD's playing.
Suggested Improvements
If there were only some way to have the incredibly strong body and thinner pillars. Anyone who has owned or driven a Volvo knows that it's strength and safety comes at the price of larger blind spots. That being said you learn to look 2-3 times before changing lanes. BLIS should be standard. Turning radius is a little wide.