2008 Volvo XC90 Consumer Review: Great car needs better tires

2008 Volvo XC90 SUV - Consumer Review

Great car needs better tires
By scatback on

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

20,000 trouble free miles in the V-8, average 19.7 mpg in mixed driving. Love the premium leather, the drive train, the ride and quality and the looks. But Volvo shouldn't build a all wheel drive car with the 19" Pirelli Scorpians. They are useless, not to say dangerous, in even light snow, got real noisy after 15,000 miles and were ready for scrap after 20k. I've replaced the with Conti HDC's, which are stock on Mercedes. My only other complaint is the turning radius that resembles a super tanker (supposedly to accommodate the width of the V-8); we call ours the "Queen Mary".

The leather with the premium package will look new at 100k. Still the best looking SUV on the road. HID active headlights are cool. Great highway cruiser with that V-8 and six speed

Better tires, for Pete sake. Volvo is into safety; but this care isn't safe with the Scorpians if you live where it gets cold.
By tostik
on 07/06/12 12:35 PM (PDT)

Agree with you on the tires, but not on the turn radius. I don't think the turn radius is excessive at all. But I had a Chevy 1500 pickup and a Ford Expedition before my I got my XC90.