Beware of transmission issues
By jero72 on
2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
As represented by MANY blogs, transmission failure is very wide- spread issue. More surprising is the repeat replacement issue. Vovlo doesn't seem to be concerned as there is no public discussin regarding design or manufacturing changes, even for the new models. I fully believe the only reason Volvo has not recalled the vehicle for faulty trany (replacement) is because they haven't been able to link fatalities to the issue. Based on what I am reading and what I am hearing, its only a matter of time. I am very surprised the Luxury Car manufacturer has not taken a more proactive position on this and dealers are very difficult to work with.
Favorite Features
great internal engineering. The vehicle packs a lot of optins and usable features into a very small space. It is clear the end user was in mind when they designed the interior.
Suggested Improvements
focus on improving mechanical components (i.e. transmission)
By tostik
on 12/02/11 04:50 AM (PST)

It was the T6 2.9 engine that had the bad GM transmissions. This engine/transmission combo was last put in the xc90 in the 2005 model. Since that time, the transmissions paired with the 2.5T, the v8, and 3.2 engines ave been fine.